Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curved Featurelines

Curved Featurelines

I understand why a featureline is tessellated if it includes a curve.  But what I would like to see:

• If a featureline contains a curve, it is treated more similarly to a polyline with a curve in it.
  • The featureline would display as a true curve (the curved portion) and I could snap to the ends and center.
  • When the featureline is added to a surface as a breakline, the resulting triangles will act as though the featureline IS tessellated but that's as far as the tesselattion will go.

Now I realize that there might very well be some scenerio out there in which you would want the featureline to actually be tessellated.  For that reason, I'd suggest adding a check box on the create featureline dialog to tessellate any curves within the featureline.

This would be extremly helpful for me.  I use featurelines to draw my curb (around the parking lots where it's much too complicated for a corridor) and now the curves within my curb are all tessellated.

4 Comments
troma
Mentor

Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about featurelines from a corridor or not?

When I draw regular featurelines, they are not tessellated. They have smooth curves. I can snap to END, MID and CEN of each curve.

doni49
Mentor
I'll post a dwg file when I get back to my office.
doni49
Mentor

I've just returned to the office and see that I can't attach a file here.

So I've posted over in the C3D forum with a sample file.

As you'll see, when putting this sample file together, I noticed that SOME featurelines did retain their curve info.

So the issue becomes why some and not others.

I guess instead of continuing this idea here, it'll need some troubleshooting over in the forum.  If it turns out that it's a bug, I'll update this comment to note that fact.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/featurelines-with-curves-sometimes-tessallate...

jmayo-EE
Mentor
  • If a featureline contains a curve, it is treated more similarly to a polyline with a curve in it.

This should happen by default

• The featureline would display as a true curve (the curved portion) and I could snap to the ends and center.

This should happen by default

What is your workflow to get the curves tessalated like that? I have never seen this when creating from object or manually.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report