Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

zone and units

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
551 Views, 13 Replies

zone and units

I have 3 files, boundary, survey surface, and GIS surface.  The survey was in us survey feet with a North Carolina projection.  The other files are international feet, no projection.  I changed the survey file to international and no projection.  When I xref them together they come in together, it all looks good.  However when I data ref the survey surface into the boundary/GIS file the survey surface comes in with a 5000,5000 offset relative to the boundary.  The boundary is from a similar survey file where in the zone and units were reset.  When I xref the survey surface into the boundary/GIS file it locates properly.  I have that feeling I'm missing the obvious again.  Can anyone shine a light on this for me? 

Many Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
ArchD
in reply to: Anonymous

You may need to set the coordinate system correctly for each drawing using map commands. It's a bit much for me to walk you through, but here is a link that should help you out:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

Archie Dodge
Applications Expert - Infrastructure Solutions Division
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 3 of 14
jmayo-EE

What are INSUNITS, INSUNITSDEFSOURCE and INSUNITSDEFTARGET sys variables se to? Do these setting match what you need?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Blocks...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: ArchD

Thanks for that direction. I’m going to have to chew thru it a bit but it looks promising.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Those three sysvars are set the same in both files.

The 5000,5000 is throwing me. It’s not the difference of grid and state plan or NAD 27 and 83.  It looks more like an arbitrary starting point the surveyor used as is often the case.  However the surveyor’s file is state plan.  - Still working on it.

Thanks for the assistance. 

Message 6 of 14
ArchD

What is INSBASE set to?
Archie Dodge
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 7 of 14
Pointdump

FM,

Xref'ing won't transform between coordinate systems. Only Attach and Query in the Map Workspace will. Please post your drawings.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: ArchD

That worked as a query to correctly transform the coordinates of all objects.  Many Thanks!!

Message 9 of 14
jmayo-EE

Yes the 5000 is not what you'd expect from a coordinate or unit transformation. Aside from Archie's advice on checking INSBASE I would have also checked BASE in the file. Dave hit the nail on the head.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: jmayo-EE

You guys are spooky smart 😉

The INSBASE in the surveyor's dwg is 5000,5000.  So that has been my issue all along. 

Just for grins and giggles,  if you received a file : projection = state plane; units = us survey foot; INSBASE = other than zero and you need to use it in : projection = none; units = international foot; INSBASE = 0,0,0 what would your work flow be?

Thanks all for all the help.

PS:  I lied yesterday saying the query transformed all objects.  It did not draw the tin nor bring the surface in any way.  It also omitted the pipe network. 

Any thoughts on why or how to?

Again,

Many Thanks

Message 11 of 14
ArchD

In the query dialog, you may have it set to preview instead of draw. Draw will bring them into your drawing.
Archie Dodge
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 12 of 14
Pointdump

FM,

"It did not draw the tin nor bring the surface in any way."

The Map side doesn't talk to the Civil side, so you can't use attach/query to transform C3D objects. Just dumb linework.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 13 of 14
ArchD

"The Map side doesn't talk to the Civil side, so you can't use attach/query to transform C3D objects. Just dumb linework."

Ha, I forgot about that.
Archie Dodge
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

Good to know.

Thanks,

Fred

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report