Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xref scale in model space

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
TheClevelander
576 Views, 11 Replies

Xref scale in model space

I have a reference drawing that is saved with an annotation scale of 1:20 and when I reference it into a production drawing that I have viewports set to 5 scale, everything scales just fine, but when I go into model space, the xref objects are still set to the annotation scale of 1:20. Is there a way to set the annotation scale of a xref in model space that will override the scale that the reference drawing is saved at?

Note: original post was edited to clarify the scale being referenced is the annotation scale.

Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Your model should always be drawn at a 1:1. The only time scales should come into play is when you are plotting them. In your layout, your sheet should be 1:1 as well and then your viewport will set the scale you want the model to plot at. When you're in model space, you can set the annotation scale for your model so that it mimics what you would see in a viewport with that same scale but that's really it.

I hope this answered the question you were asking. If not, let us know and I'll do my best to clarify or adjust.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 12

Thanks for your thoughts Brian. Yes, everything is always drawn 1:1, I have edited my post to indicate the scale I was referencing is the annotation scale. This comes into play when I am labeling my cross sections which I would have 4-5 on a sheet, and I find it easier to just label everything (especially pipes and structures) in model space instead of switching to 40-50 viewports to label. Cross sections look great on the layout tabs, clicking through the viewport, but when I go to model space, the cross sections (which are in my referenced basemap) take on the 20 scale annotation from the basemap.

Message 4 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: TheClevelander

Sounds like the host drawing with 5 scale vports is set to 120

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: BrianHailey

Hi Brian, this is interesting, are you saying the scale in the civil3d settings tab is to be 1:1?

drawn. duh

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Use the <drawingcale> parameter in the text height of the cross section file and they will never scale

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
TheClevelander
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

No, the model space is set to 5 Scale. But it really doesn't matter what the scale of model space is, the scale of the reference drawing doesn't change in model space, no matter what the annotation scale is set to...

Message 8 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Now I am confused

JoeBouza_0-1710772303833.png

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
TheClevelander
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

The xref is holding the 1:20 annotation scale that the source file was saved in.  The annotation scale of the xref is not changing no matter what  I change the host drawing annotation scale to. See attached pictures...

Message 10 of 12

Ah, I think I understand now but please correct me if I'm wrong. You have a base drawing with Civil 3D annotations in it that is set to a specific scale (e.g. 1"=20'). When you XREF that drawing into another drawing, when in model space, the annotation always shows as if it's 1"=20' even if the model scale is set to something different but they show correctly when in a viewport set to a different scale. Does this sound right?

If that's the case, C3D has been this way for decades and I don't know of any way to get the annotation in an XREF to display according to the model space scale.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 12

Nailed it Brian! Yeah I know it has been this way ever since C3D came out, but I thought it was worth asking since AutoCAD clearly has the capacity to do it (a la the host drawing viewports).  I don't know of a way/setting, so I was hoping some of the other gurus out there knew of a way to make it work. Seems strange that there isn't a way to do it.

Message 12 of 12

I totally agree. I think it should do it and I see no reason why it doesn't do it other than the programmers have decided this isn't a priority.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report