Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x-section labels

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1705 Views, 10 Replies

x-section labels

In the attached .png I have a section view. I have a label style that labels the pave1 links. The only problem I have with this is that I use the shoulder extend all subassembly, so I get labels on the shoulder slope. (the 25.00% label) I wouldn't mind it so much if it said 4:1. Right now I turn off the 25.00% label in all of the section views.

From this I have a couple of questions:
1. Could I turn off the 25.00% label all at once, instead of induvidually?
2. Can a label style be set up to read % cross slope until it gets to a certain slope and then read 4:1 etc.
3. Is there a way to just label the lane pave1 slopes.

This question applies to 2009 or 2010. One other thing I was wondering if people have comments on is that C3D can label anything in a section view, however it seems to be kind of all or nothing. For example if I wanted a label on just a ditch elevation, I would end up with labels on every other point. Maybe you can set up a style to label just one point?

Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: Anonymous

Re. turning all the 25% labels off at once, you can select a bunch of labels while holding done the CTRL key and then changing the visible value in the properties dialogue pallette to false for all of them at once. But I have set up a label style to do automated labels like i think you are asking for.

I get the attached result by using a couple text components in the section segment labels. One for grades i.e. % and one for slopes i.e 1:4

I then use an expression to check the length of a section segement and if it's below a certain length or above a certain slope the text height for the grade is set to very small, so it is virtually invisible.

I also do the same for the slope but the slope is above a certain value.

This is the expression i use to work out the text height for the grade.

if({Section Segment Length}<0.7,0.00001,if({Section Segment Cross Slope}<0.1,if({Section Segment Cross Slope}>-0.1,0.002,0.000001),0.000001))

It basically checks if the the segment length is less than 0.7m then the value to return for the text height is 0.00001 (is in meters). Otherwise check if the segment slope is less than 0.1 (ie 10%) and greater then -0.1 ( -10%) and if so return 0.002 for the text height (2mm) all else return 0.00001 (0.01mm)

here's the expression for the slope

if({Section Segment Length}<0.7,0.0000001,if({Section Segment Cross Slope}>=0.1,0.002,if({Section Segment Cross Slope}<=-0.1,0.002,0.00000001)))

Regards,

Andrew Puller

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 11
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2023
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

I have tried to make an expression to get certain labels to show up, however as you can see in the attachment, something is not quite right.

The steps I followed are:

1. created an expression under link label style. (I basically copied yours except I used feet for measurement)

2. used my expression in my link label style.

I was wondering if you could explain a little more how the expressions you made work. I am curious if in your label style you have two components, one with small text and one with large text. Did each text style have a separate expression? If you want to share any other tips to making this label style work, that would be great.

I really appreciate your help, you have a creative solution to displaying certain labels.

Jacob
Message 4 of 11
Civil3DReminders_com

I think the DG sometimes eats the less than and more than characters. I think it should be {link length} less than character 2. Also the height is returned differently for US units, you'll need to adjust the 0.12 accordingly.

Christopher
Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Putting the less than character in did help. I have it set up now so that grades less than 10% are labeled at their correct slope and grades greater than 10% are labeled as 0%. The question now is how to get the slopes labeled as 0% to not be displayed or have the text turned very small, as Andrew had said. What is the correct way to enter text height into an expression?

Thank you

Jacob
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Here is a pic of Andrew's post so you can see how he did it using nested
(if)'s.

"jacobekola" wrote in message news:6278172@discussion.autodesk.com...
> Putting the less than character in did help. I have it set up now so that
> grades less than 10% are labeled at their correct slope and grades greater
> than 10% are labeled as 0%. The question now is how to get the slopes
> labeled as 0% to not be displayed or have the text turned very small, as
> Andrew had said. What is the correct way to enter text height into an
> expression?
>
> Thank you
>
> Jacob
>
Message 7 of 11
Civil3DReminders_com

Wow, I was way off.

For the US units expressions you have to convert the inches to feet units, so divide by 12.

Christopher
Civil Reminders
Alumni
Message 8 of 11
andrewpuller3811

Jeff,

Why the picture?

Doesn't it show up on the newsgroups properly? If so I'll remember that in future.

I only have access through internet explorer.

Andrew

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 11
Civil 3d 2023
Message 9 of 11
Civil3DReminders_com

I'm looking at on Internet explorer and it removes all of the text enclosed by the less than character and more than character. The {Section Segment Cross Slope} portions of the expressions don't show up.
Christopher
Civil Reminders
Alumni
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

I did get my label style to work. Thanks for the help everyone.

Jacob
Message 11 of 11
andrewpuller3811

Ah, thanks Christopher, didn't notice that before.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 11
Civil 3d 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report