Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong coordinates but correct placement in Bing Map-background

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
hellgrenalicia
254 Views, 6 Replies

Wrong coordinates but correct placement in Bing Map-background

My exported files from Civil 3d wont show up in the correct place when imported to GIS programs. I have one that worked perfectly but I cant seem to figure out what the difference is between that one and the other files. The drawing is placed as I want in CAD but when I export it (DXF, SHP or DWG) its placed somewhere in Africa when its supposed to be in Sweden.

I have checked the Drawing settings and units and it is matching the DWG that worked fine. But when I add a point to the incorrect DWG, the geometry shows the wrong coordinates, those coordinates ends up in Africa. But as I said, the Bing bakground shows the correct place.

How do I check or change the geometry so its in Sweden still?

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Pointdump
in reply to: hellgrenalicia

Hi Alicia,
Welcome to the Autodesk Forums.
Please zip together and post a drawing and the resulting shapefile.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 7

Hello @hellgrenalicia 

Although Bing imagery might show up correctly, it doesn't necessarily mean your drawing is accurately georeferenced against a 'known coordinate system.'

First you'll need to determine a coordinate system (CS) that's appropriate to your site location. Then you'll need to 'assign' that CS to your drawing.

Try this:

1. Open a brand new, clean metric template and assign an appropriate coordinate system such as UTM84-33N then click ASSIGN button (your actual CS may vary). See image-1.
  2. Go to GEOLOCATION Tab=>click dropdown arrow=>Select Map Hybrid. See image-2.
  3. Your drawing is now georeferenced correctly. The Bing Logo will appear in lower right corner of modelspace. Use your mouse wheel to pan and zoom in on your site. See image-3.

Image-1Image-1

Image-2Image-2

Image-3Image-3

Notes:

• Bing's imagery known as Map Hybrid covers the area of your assigned CS.
  • The Bing logo indicates you have successfully connected to Bing's Online Map Hybrid imagery. 
  • The imagery that appears will 'cover' the area consistent with your assigned CS.
  • There are some areas where UTM84 does not cover Sweden, such as to the east. If your site is on or toward the eastern border of Sweden, you'll need to assign UTM84-34N instead of UTM84-33N. If your site is on the extreme western border then assign UTM84-32N.
Chicagolooper
Message 4 of 7

I have done that in every drawing and the coordinate system is correct. Its also a local coordinate system to a specific part of Sweden - but when you search for those coordinates in the picture below, they end up in Africa... I have another drawing with the same coordinate system (but another projection) and the same set up that works fine. I attach those DWGs to the answer from @Pointdump above.

hellgrenalicia_0-1664353815405.png

Message 5 of 7
hellgrenalicia
in reply to: Pointdump

The files are attahed. I use a plug in program to Civil 3d but I dont believe it should affect anything. Please see my reply below as well for more information. 

Message 6 of 7
Pointdump

Hi Alicia,
Thanks for posting your drawings.
First thing I noticed in the "wrong" drawing was the geomarker and the drawing coordinates in the lower status bar. That tells me the command EDIT LOCATION was used, and that's what broke your drawing. I don't know how to fix that.
DaveWrong_1.png

Right_1.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 7 of 7
lim.wendy

Hi Alicia,

Thanks for reaching out to the forum. I agree with @ChicagoLooper 

Although Bing imagery might show up correctly, it doesn't necessarily mean your drawing is accurately georeferenced against a 'known coordinate system.'

If you track the coordinate (MAPTRACKS) in the wrong coordinate dwg, you will notice that the objects are way off. 

limwendy_0-1664863295054.png

As pointed by Dave, something is broken. 

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report