Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working With GIS Data in Civil 3D 2018

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
2035 Views, 13 Replies

Working With GIS Data in Civil 3D 2018

I do have troubles with creating some labels of contours and spot elevations (see screen shots)

The GIS Data is ArcSDE Connect.

Basically I am trying to make the labels look as a AutoCAD object would look like and realize that it most likely styling but was not able to locate correct solution.

Another issue I am dealing with is the images in rotated viewport are getting cut off (see screen shot)

Any help with this matter will be appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
jefflambert9091
in reply to: Anonymous

Trying to "draft" with GIS data is difficult. For your contour labels, you need to go to advanced in the Style editor for Feature Labels and change the label position to Repeat. I think you are on Fixed Location. (see attached). Need to become an expert in the Style editor to attempt to create decent labels. 

I have been creating surfaces from "Create Surfaces from GIS Data" so I can have better control on the labeling and linetypes. 

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 14
Mike.M.Carlson

Hello-

It looks like you're running Civil 3D, so I would build a Surface via connecting to the ArcSDE source instead.  Then you will have much more flexibility to style the ground surface, add contour elevations, spot elevations, etc.  You will also find that your your Viewport rotation issues should go away too.

TEST8.gif

I hope this helps.

Michael M. Carlson
Senior Civil Designer
CADD Manager
AutoCAD Civil 3D Professional
AutoCAD Professional

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: jefflambert9091

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I did check "Create Surface from GIS Data" option and was not successful so will check with our GIS Analyst how to get it done.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Mike.M.Carlson

Thank you Mike.

Please see my reply to Jeff above.

I actually only have an issue in viewports with images (aerial photos)

Message 6 of 14
jefflambert9091

It takes a few times going though to get it right. Once you do it a few times its pretty easy.

If you have a shape file then checkout the link.

https://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/2015/11/16/surface-from-shp-file-part-1/

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: jefflambert9091

Hi Jeff,

Thank you very much for the info.

I don't have access to my work computer at the moment (show storm) but I will check it out tomorrow and let you know if it works.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Hi Jeff,

Thanks again for step by step instruction.

The shape file option is not working for me because I have a shape file about 500 MB (for entire City)

(See attached) so I guess only connect through ARC SDE could be only be an option but I am not successful on this as well yet.

Message 9 of 14
jefflambert9091

I haven't had to use the ArcSDE connection. Sorry I cant help there.

If you have someone with access to ArcGIS they can open the file and export out a manageable area.

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 10 of 14
Mike.M.Carlson

Hi @Anonymous

Have you tried the ArcSDE Connection option right in the Create Surface fro GIS Data option?

AutoCAD Civil 3D Help: To Create a Surface From GIS Data
http://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2017/ENU/index.html?guid=GUID-3247F2EA-34D3-41EE-A7D2-DFFA186A43E9

Michael M. Carlson
Senior Civil Designer
CADD Manager
AutoCAD Professional

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks Mike.

It does work when I do it over contours I imported previously as a connect (see my images in first email) otherwise I am not able to select a window where I want surface to be created. I am still not able to create surface for entire City because it is crashing AutoCAD because of size ( I guess).

Message 12 of 14
Mike.M.Carlson

Hi @Anonymous-

I followed your Data Connect method from your first post, and it sounds like you were able to use the Create Surface from GIS Data \ ArcSDE option, but it won't let you filter the data down to an area of interest via the Geospatial Query section in said wizard (Inside or Crossing Query types by Polygon/Fence/Circle)?  That blows.

To follow up on @jefflambert9091 correct thinking, you may just have to do the clip in ESRI ArcMap and export topo data out as a .shp (of the contours) or better yet, a streamlined .xyz point file that you can just point to externally to build a Surface in Civil 3D.

I wish you luck.  

Michael M. Carlson
Senior Civil Designer
CADD Manager
AutoCAD Professional

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Hi Mike,

I am sorry for delayed respond. Everything works great by utilizing .SDE connection.

I am able to create a surface for limited project areas by utilizing routine you and Jeff offered.

Alternatively I could check out the map feature lines, convert them to 3D poly line and create a surface.

The only one issue I am still facing right now is working with images as a “connect to server option” (see again attached screenshot). The problems is the images are getting cut off when a view port is rotated.

Therefore if someone could help me out with this matter I would really appreciate it.

Message 14 of 14
gherrmanRQ549

Large shapefiles shouldn't deter you. I have several county contour shapefiles that are around 1GB each. When you use the "Create Surface from GIS Data" command, you'll have the option to define an "Area of Interest" window so that only the data in your project area will be imported. The key to working with shapefiles (using either this method or MAPIMPORT and query) is to have some way of knowing where to draw your area of interest window. For me, it's using georeferenced orthoimagery (.jpg/.jpw), but you could also use GNSS survey data or a boundary line you draw in your GIS program and then paste into CAD. The only slightly annoying thing is that the "Create Surface for GIS Data" uses a snapshot to create your surface, so it's not possible to modify the extents of the surface with a data clip boundary after it's been created.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report