Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does c3d 2018 take 20 seconds to open? 2015 takes 12 sec.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
JamesMaeding
1169 Views, 9 Replies

Why does c3d 2018 take 20 seconds to open? 2015 takes 12 sec.

I recently got 2018 all going, and am seeing rather slow start times.

I have /nologo in my icon, and have startmode to 0 so it opens with blank drawing, same as I have done forever.

It takes 20 seconds to open, even after three session close and opens.

I have a fast machine with ssd, most production people will not even have my machine specs.

I did notice this warning when loading up, but don't think its the problem:

Loading AECC Base Core...
Loading AECC Base UI...
Warning: Local command name not found for 'AeccDataSharing.AeccCreateMultipleShortcuts'
Warning: Local command name not found for 'AeccDataSharing.AeccAssocObjToShortcut'
Loading AECC Event Viewer...

Is everyone seeing 20 second start times to a blank drawing?

2015 is 12 seconds for me, that is a huge change.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
rkmcswain
in reply to: JamesMaeding

I'll save the sarcastic answer for offline.

I get approximately 20 seconds on Civil 3D 2017 (nologo), on a what I consider a pretty fast machine also. (i7-5820 @ 3.3GHz)

It's just loading so much stuff I guess. Takes time. All being done on a single core too.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 10
rkmcswain

I know these are not apples to apples... but for comparison:

Microstation SS4 with Geopak opens and loads a drawing in 6-7 seconds.

BricsCAD v17 opens in about 2 seconds.

AutoCAD 2018 opens in about 13 seconds.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 10
Jeff_M

I get close to 18 seconds to load C3D 2018 nologo, and including the Sincpac, on my 6 year old laptop. 2015 loads in ~12 seconds
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 10
JamesMaeding
in reply to: rkmcswain

thx for verifying, wondered if it was just me.

Its kind of sad because we have no idea what compromises the developers made when crafting the startup process.

I bet they could have offered us more "load as needed" items.

Yes, they cause delays when needed, but all decent programmers know loading too much upfront is evil.

Message 6 of 10
JamesMaeding
in reply to: rkmcswain

oh yah, Bricscad opens in 2 sec for me too.

I almost laugh every time.

All our tools, including our civil3d replacement, run on bcad and you can bet that affects our c3d purchases.

Message 7 of 10
jnelson1071

Just wanted to chime in on these warnings also from Civil 3D 2017

I have longer startup times than you (probably because of config and plugins) but I also noticed those same 2 warnings in my startup.

Warning: Local command name not found for 'AeccDataSharing.AeccCreateMultipleShortcuts'
Warning: Local command name not found for 'AeccDataSharing.AeccAssocObjToShortcut'

Glad to see it's not just my configuration causing this. It would be interesting to know what those are from.  Too many other places things could go wrong (and do).

Message 8 of 10

Be thankful you didn't have 16. It took over 50 seconds to open 16. Not sure if it was just us, but we are on 18 and its about 20 seconds.  

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 9 of 10

I'd like to hear what the developers have to say about this opening speed variance.

I would expect decisions that improve speed, since c3d is no expanding much through these versions.

@peterfunkautodesk can you comment on this?

thx

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

I wish mine was only 20 seconds to load. With 2016, civil3d would open in 15 seconds. With 2018, I get upward of a minute and a half. Drops back down to 50 seconds after a reboot. It's only my laptop that takes this amount of time. I found a bad ram chip. Replaced it thinking all was solved but exactly the same amount of time. I even went through the process of redoing my full Windows 10 install. We have 4 more of these exact same laptops with all the same configuration and they all load civil3d 2018 in 20 seconds. I thought it was my customization of menus and such so I installed it and left it right out of the box install with no customization. Still slow speeds. Time for a new computer unless someone has an answer.

Thanks,

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report