Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s new in Civil 3D 2025?

27 REPLIES 27
Message 10 of 28
lim.wendy
5713 Views, 27 Replies

What’s new in Civil 3D 2025?

The all-new Civil 3D 2025 is here, packed with innovations to boost productivity. Click this link to see what's new!

For more detailed information, please see the Civil 3D release notes for technical documentation.

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Labels (2)
27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
Cadguru42
in reply to: AllenJessup

@AllenJessup wrote:

I'd suggest that anyone not happy with the development of the software join the Futures Portal and become a Beta Tester. You will get in depth knowledge of what these improvements mean and be able to give feedback directly to the development team.

I think the improvement in the Object Viewer will be very useful. The update to the coordinate system dialog is only the front end to a whole new way of dealing with coordinate systems including vertical datums. Repairing the broken concept of Level of Detail is a good improvement.

As others have mentioned. Autodesk doesn't save up the improvements for the yearly release anymore. They release updates throughout the year. So what you saw in 24.2 or 24.3 can be considered upgrades in 2025.

Civil 3D speed has been increasing over the past three years. Four years ago, that's what everyone was complaining about. That's why it's been a focus recently. There have also been speed increases in AutoCAD.

The problem is that these "improvements" aren't anything that users are asking for. Nothing is being done to streamline the UI to improve the user experience. Hardly any of the Ideas are being implemented. The Roadmap is ignoring the Ideas board and is whatever Autodesk feels like working on. Which seems to be only small, little items they can do in a few months and move on. I joined the Kameleon (now Infrastructure Parts Editor) beta and was ignored by Autodesk. The major bugs with it still haven't been fixed. Autodesk got it about 70% there then abandoned it like everything else they do anymore. 

Another perfect example is the pipe run system for pressure networks. It's about 65% complete, so Autodesk has stopped work on it. It's basically useless for production because it can't even do a vertical bend. Want to add a fire hydrant? Have to convert it back to a parts based system, so why even bother using it in the first place? 

There are three different methods to create tables in C3D;:  ACAD Tables, C3D object tables, then Project Explorer tables. None of them use the same UI nor something similar to each other. And none of them can create a live, dynamic table with user created cells plus C3D object data. Why is nothing being done to address this when it's been asked by users for over a decade?

C3D's development is not advancing anything for the user. Survey hasn't had any improvements in over 15 years except for survey queries about a decade ago. One of the most basic and fundamental aspects of civil design is survey and Autodesk ignores it. 

Many of us are long time users that are just tired of Autodesk under delivering. We want C3D to improve and make our daily jobs easier. Autodesk doesn't seem to want to do that. 

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
Message 22 of 28
tony1978
in reply to: Cadguru42

This is why I started building my own apps to help streamline my design process and workflow. I have been on the beta since 2009 and practically every single Autodesk private groups and communities. How many of those Wishlist item on the C3D forums were ever created??? very little.  Then again, I know there are thousands of companies all demanding certain features to Autodesk, and clients that have 20k-50k license will be top priority to them. There has been so many create features that were on the beta and then halfway through it gets shelved for years.  

Tony Carcamo

President/Owner

Civil CAD Learning Solutions

DFW BIM Infrastructure User Group

LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | DFWBIUG |User Group

Message 23 of 28
kidznok
in reply to: lim.wendy

Hi,
How to work with Level o detail?
I had this and when I was working with Corridor Section Editor I turn on to smooth work.
Now I don't see this command and my Section Editor is still refreshing...

Message 24 of 28
HEBC3D
in reply to: cwr001

>If I'm pessimistic (which might be true after a long days work), you might be described as overly compliant! 

Really weird attempt at insulting me for explaining things you're skipping over.

>Don't forget that Civil3d is quite costly - Autodesk isn't your open source small indie developer - so if tangible progress was hindered by a .NET-upgrade and we are now on open roads where everything can be developed faster - I'm all for it. We'll see how it goes.

Again, this just shows your ignorance of the process and how convoluted having people who have never worked on certain code bases can be and untangling the spaghetti that was leftover from previous years. The only good aspect I've seen come from ORD is the modeling, plan production is absolutely awful. If we had to design everything in ORD, we'd be spending 3x the money by waiting for everything to open. You also get a pretty good amount of products available getting the AEC collection rather than individually buying subscriptions that are related to each other.

>It has now been a week and there havn't been any updates. What's more, the, by far!, most demanded in-progress-feature ("Link Revit Building into Civil 3D Drawing") has of course NOT shipped (and this stuff has been on there for two years now) which will further delay anything in the "Up next" section.

Okay? I don't really think that's their highest priority and we have zero clue how their teams actually function and who controls what. If you did bother to join the feedback forums and weekly webinars, this was discussed today. You also clearly don't understand you can't just add features and expect them to work perfectly. There's a ton of testing they have to got through when developing new features (especially brand new) that can hinder release of features.

>What does it take to get an item on the roadmap? It's not ideas or their votes (as @Cadguru42 demonstrated).
How are roadmap-items prioritized? It's definitely not votes, as you can clearly see.
Autodesk can do whatever they want, but if there's no recognizable link between user interaction and shipped features and the timeline is completely random then the whole process is a huge waste of time, a huge source for disappointment and in the end: arbitrary.

It literally is ideas, you two are making a big deal of top ideas not being implemented and just ignoring the fact that they simply might not be feasible. Just because the idea is upvoted a bunch DOES NOT mean that will get implemented or is even possible without years of work. You aren't even given a timeline, why are you complaining about a timeline? They don't give you dates for a reason, almost as if it's pretty complicated to create new features.

>Looking at major releases, 2018 comes to mind: "Offset profiles" (as incomplete as they are), "Connected alignments" (they made drafting SO much easier!), "Corridor bow-tie cleanup" (this stuff is really incomplete, but the goal is great!) and there was more - just compare that to the above!

You literally had to go back 7 years to get to a point where you could use an initial release to complain while ignoring the other 6 years of releases that have had a consistent trend to them. Please, provide the 'more' rather than pretending there was 'more'. You're saying 'more' and not expanding because it isn't true. I went back through every release in the past 8-10 years and verified it.

>I'd actually welcome a version that doesn't add any features but focuses on fixing existing bugs and aims for completing features that are now only at 70% but what's happening right now in my opinion is an unwillingness to touch core parts of the software.

>It's getting more and more like AutoCAD: Build weird, funky stuff in the name of progress while completely losing track of the fundamentals.

Again, you're just showing your ignorance of the software development process and replacing it with what you think is true.

Message 25 of 28
HEBC3D

>The problem is that these "improvements" aren't anything that users are asking for. Nothing is being done to streamline the UI to improve the user experience. 

This is insane, there's been several UI efficiency updates but oyu seem to just ignore them because they aren't the specific ones you wanted.

>Hardly any of the ideas are being implemented.

An idea being upvoted by a bunch of people does not mean it's a valid or feasible idea especially when it would be coming from the AutoCAD team, not the C3D team.

>The Roadmap is ignoring the Ideas board and is whatever Autodesk feels like working on. Which seems to be only small, little items they can do in a few months and move on. I joined the Kameleon (now Infrastructure Parts Editor) beta and was ignored by Autodesk. The major bugs with it still haven't been fixed. Autodesk got it about 70% there then abandoned it like everything else they do anymore. 

Seems like you also don't understand software development either and let it leak into your opinions of them.

Message 26 of 28
Neilw_05

Beware of Openroads. I formerly used Power Civil before they came out with their new Openroads technology. I still watch the forum occasionally. Recently I saw posts about defects in the annotation tools that require exploding everything. The defect has not been addressed for over a year. I experienced similar problems with their old Power Civil product. The lack of response to major defects is a major reason why I have not pursued their product as an alternative to C3D.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 27 of 28
Cadguru42
in reply to: HEBC3D

@HEBC3D wrote:

>The problem is that these "improvements" aren't anything that users are asking for. Nothing is being done to streamline the UI to improve the user experience. 

This is insane, there's been several UI efficiency updates but oyu seem to just ignore them because they aren't the specific ones you wanted.

>Hardly any of the ideas are being implemented.

An idea being upvoted by a bunch of people does not mean it's a valid or feasible idea especially when it would be coming from the AutoCAD team, not the C3D team.

>The Roadmap is ignoring the Ideas board and is whatever Autodesk feels like working on. Which seems to be only small, little items they can do in a few months and move on. I joined the Kameleon (now Infrastructure Parts Editor) beta and was ignored by Autodesk. The major bugs with it still haven't been fixed. Autodesk got it about 70% there then abandoned it like everything else they do anymore. 

Seems like you also don't understand software development either and let it leak into your opinions of them.

Not sure why you're attacking me for the lack of UI improvements by saying I'm insane. Changing the theme color and shape of the drawing tabs doesn't count. The corridor dialog got updated, but that's it. It still takes more clicks to do things that should be simple. Pipe/structure dialog boxes don't let you pan/zoom while they're open. The modal dialogs were supposedly worked on about ten years ago, but in typical Autodesk fashion, only a few were worked on then the project was abandoned. Pipe/structure properties window you can't pan/zoom. Survey figure properties can't pan/zoom. Pretty much every C3D object property window doesn't allow the viewport to be accessed. 

This isn't just a few that I'm talking about. This was almost every C3D dialog and it was Autodesk itself said it would do it then abandoned it.

No one is saying that because people voted for an Idea that it wasn't feasible. But to say it's not feasible for the top requested Ideas is being disingenuous. You're telling me it's impossible to code a table that displays C3D object data while letting other cells be manually edited? Fields can do this. Why can't fields read C3D object data? If a field can read an external file, like a SSM, why can't C3D object data that's embedded in the same DWG be read? Why couldn't they have a LandXML file or other XML file that a field could read if it must be external? 

Sounds like you don't understand development and the purpose of software. Software is supposed to make it faster, better for something to be done. In this case, civil design. But if nothing is being done to streamline the user interactions or to implement ideas that the users think would help them, then what's the point?

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
Message 28 of 28
Jackben4100
in reply to: lim.wendy

this viedo is creative viedo & good experince for me

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report