Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume calculation

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
2706 Views, 14 Replies

Volume calculation

Hello all,

I am trying to calculate the volume of stockpiles using Civil 3D 2017. I have created 2 surfaces such that a Tin Volume Surface can be produced. I have defined the surfaces with point groups and also given surface boundaries (at the end). When creating a Tin Volume surface it creates a duplicate model below as seen in the attachment given. Why does this happen? I can extract a quantity of material from this but have concerns as to how reliable this is.

Any help on the matter would be great.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
neilyj666
in reply to: Anonymous

I can't really see what is going on as just able to view on my phone.

I would tackle this by pasting the OGL into a new surface and then removing the TIN points that define the tops of the piles. This assumes a "struck base" i.e. the OGL is linear under the pile. I then just do a simple comparison avoiding creating a Volume Surface unless I need it for something specific.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

Cheers for getting back to me Neilyj,

I have created two separate surfaces to compare: The 1st being the OGL surface and the 2nd being the fill material, as shown is the pictures below. The only way i know of comparing/computing volumes is through Tin Volume Surface. How do you carry out this comparison method that you are talking about?

OGL Surface BaseOGL Surface BaseFill Material SurfaceFill Material SurfaceDuplicate model created when using Tin Volume Surface. Why has this happened?Duplicate model created when using Tin Volume Surface. Why has this happened?

Message 4 of 15
wfberry

Perhaps if you looked at each surface's STATISTICS and compare minimum and maximum elevations you could see it they are making any sense.

Bilol

Message 5 of 15
mohammad.banitamim

Hi”djlgow” actually clear I want to know “do you want to compute volume between 2 surface with a similar coordinates and different heights” Yes? (Just Yes or No)…

Message 6 of 15
neilyj666

I can't remember the command as I have added it to my ribbon ... will check tomorrow.

The volume surface method will create an additional surface but the levels will typically in a case like this range from 0 to the max relative height of the piles.

It would be useful if you could share the dwg

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: mohammad.banitamim

Yes, I want to compute the volume between two surfaces that i have defined. When doing this a duplicate model of what i what i have produced appears at an elevation of 0. The model i constructed is taken from a Trimble Total Station at height 508m. Does civil 3D for some reason show the Tin Volume Surface at elevation 0? Here is my model, which will help show my issue. 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Neilyj,

Here is my model which will help show what my issue is. The model might be fine, i am just not sure if it usual for civil 3d to create a duplicate model at elevation 0. 

Thanks

Message 9 of 15
Joe-Bouza

I may be wrong but am I looking at three surfaces: base, comparison and volume

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 10 of 15
neilyj666

@Anonymous - The models look perfectly ok to me.

The volume surface below has surface labels which range from around 0 to 3.3ish and represents the relative height of the sand pile above the ogl - this is totally as expected.  The command I couldn't remember is ReportSurfaceVolume as shown in the screen shot

2017-11-06 07_58_24-Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018 - [C__Users_NeilJ_AppData_Local_Temp_Stockpille.d.jpg

This command gives a volume of 308.5 cu.m. which unsurprisingly is the same as the volume surface but without the overhead of a volume surface.

2017-11-06 07_58_55-Panorama.jpg

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
M_c3d

@neilyj666 is correct, the volume surface it has created looks fine to me. Unless you use the reportsurfacevolume tool @neilyj666 suggested, the volume dashboard will always create a tin volume surface

Message 12 of 15
ChrisRS

@Anonymous, the duplicate model is the TIN Volume surface.

The "elevation" of each point in the TIN Volume surface is the elevation difference between the Base and Comparison surface at the point. A negative elevation means cut and an positive elevation means fill. Because the cut and fill are relatively small numbers, the surface is near zero. The overlap area of the base and comparison surface determine the boundary of the volume surface.

In this case, your Base and Comparison surfaces have the same boundary, thus the volume surface does as well. The model is all fill and the base surface is somewhat flat. this results in the volume surface looking similar to the comparison surface, but they are not identical. The volume surface is not a duplicate.

If all fill makes sense, what you are doing looks correct. 

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Message 13 of 15
neilyj666
in reply to: ChrisRS

.....all as explained in other posts in the thread...Smiley Happy

EESignature

Message 14 of 15
CharlieGreene7827

Not really sure if this is what is happening when you crease a volume surface you are creating a third surface that will be 0 and will be the difference between the two try and insert points to the surface as surface grid and if the levels are minus and plus figures that is what it is
Message 15 of 15
CharlieGreene7827

As a double check you extract the points calculate the mean of the sum of elevation and multiply by the area and that would get you a volume also double check in the surface property’s for the volume and mean also don’t forget to analize

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report