Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewport over rides not sticking

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
tvermeulen
416 Views, 6 Replies

Viewport over rides not sticking

I'm having issues with my viewport color overrides not staying with the color I select. When I open the file again the next day the over rides revert back to the original layer color. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue or knows why this would be happening. Getting old re-doing my sheets every time I open the file.

Thanks

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
RobertEVs
in reply to: tvermeulen

Are you setting overrides on xfers? I ask because it seems at times my own xref overrides will revert if anyone unloads it, not detach but a simple unload. I now set my VP settings how I want them then set a layer state. If I come back in the drawing and its changed, I re-apply the layer state.   

Message 3 of 7
MMcCall402

Check your VISRETAIN system variable.

VISRETAIN (System Variable)

Controls the properties of xref-dependent layers.

Type: Integer
Saved in: Drawing
Initial value: 1

Controls visibility, color, linetype, lineweight, and plot styles. Use this system variable in conjunction with the VISRETAINMODE system variable to manage which xref layer property overrides you want to automatically sync on reload.

Value

Description

The layer table, as stored in the reference drawing (xref), takes precedence. Changes made to xref-dependent layers in the current drawing are valid in the current session only and are not saved with the drawing. When the current drawing is reopened, the layer table is reloaded from the reference drawing, and the current drawing reflects all of those layer property settings.

Xref-dependent layer changes made in the current drawing take precedence. Layer settings are saved with the current drawing's layer table and persist from session to session.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 4 of 7
RobertEVs
in reply to: MMcCall402

A setting of 1 keeps xref settings in the DWG if changes are made to any layer or color the Base xref file?  Mine is set to 1 don't think that has ever been changed even though I still get xref VP changes time to time.

I'm going to have to give this a test.

Thanks

Message 5 of 7
lim.wendy

Hi Trever,

Thank you for submitting your question in our discussion forums. 

Have you had a chance to look over the suggestions provided by our experts?

Please let us know if you require further assistance.

If the suggestions helped you, please hit the "Accept Solution" button, as it helps make the solution easier to find for others who might have the same issue. Knowing which topics are solved or not can also help our many users find the questions that still need to be answered. It’s also a great way to say thank you and give recognition to whoever helped you. 

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Rails Summit

Message 6 of 7
tvermeulen
in reply to: lim.wendy

The issues I was having were with linework actually within the DWG, not XRefs. 

Message 7 of 7

would it be possible to share the file so we can take a look?   If you type UNDO at the beginning of your file, and then 100 for the value, does it put the layers back the way they were?  If so, it sounds like something might be running on startup that is changing the layers.  Do you utilize any custom programs, or reference templates?

Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.

AutoCAD Certified Professional
Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2022 on Windows 10

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report