Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vernacular Question

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jmartt
410 Views, 9 Replies

Vernacular Question

I'm sure that anyone reading this will know of what I'm about to describe. My question is if there's a common term for it that I've not learned.

A curve that is drawn from the end of a line, whose radial line, drawn to the beginning of the curve, at the point of curvature, makes a 90 degree angle with the line is called a(n) "X" curve.

Is there a correct term for "X"? A cursory search of Google and textbooks I have on hand didn't fill it in. I've always referred to these curves as "tangent curves". But a bright young man in academia recently informed me that this was oxymoronic, and I can appreciate his take on that. Is there a better adjective to use for "X" than "tangent"?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: jmartt

Since a generalized curve is defined as “a curved line”
Then it is not necessarily oxymoronic to specifically define one as tangent

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Message 4 of 10
jmartt
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't see this issue addressed on the wiki page, @Anonymous. (I originally didn't see your first post and wondered what you were hoping I'd find, but I see you supplied the link as background to your first post. Thanks.)

Given your moniker, I would think you'd be an authority on the matter. What do you call these curves?

Message 5 of 10
jmartt

...Because there must be a way people talk about this. I can't be the only one that has exclaimed something like "Jeez, there's not one tangent curve in this drawing!"

Message 6 of 10
AllenJessup

No. There are Tangent curves and Non-Tangent curves. In order for it to be Oxymoronic. You would have to use tangent to describe non-tangent curves. Even that doesn't fit. Something that might be described as oxymoronic would be "Peacekeeper Missile", Deafening Silence" or "Living Dead". IOW. Word combinations of opposites. Tangent is not the opposite of Curve. Just one flavor.

Also in civil engineering we usually deal with Horizontal Curves and Parabolic Curves. Those can be broken down in to sub-classifications. Sag-Crest, Reverse, Compound, etc.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
Joe-Bouza

"Horizontal curves" 

If it isn’t tangent it needs to be revised. No place for non-tangent "horizontal curves" on civil engineering plans.

AKA: HCG... lolol

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
jmartt
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Great!

'Nuff said. @AllenJessup @Joe-Bouza . Obviously, other people call em tangent curves as well. I couldn't find the term in a text book, so I wanted to see if this was what other people said. Good. Thanks.

Message 9 of 10
AllenJessup
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

"Horizontal curves" 

If it isn’t tangent it needs to be revised. No place for non-tangent "horizontal curves" on civil engineering plans.

True. However we sometimes have to deal with non-tangent curves in Surveying. So the distinction has to be made if they're non-tangent.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: AllenJessup

True enough. That is why I distinguished on civil engineering plans.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report