Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a GIS map as an underlay.

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2570 Views, 8 Replies

Using a GIS map as an underlay.

Hello

I have an ARC-GIS MXD file that I would like to add to a Civil 3D file as an underlay.

The geologic features map file (see figure 1) and CAD model (see figure 2) are both georeferenced to the same coordinate system. Is there a function similar to GEOMAP that would allow me to import it as a "custom" map (similar to figure 3), instead of the default aerial/road maps? I do not need to be able to select or modify the GIS map "objects", they are just for a visual background reference.

Thanks for the help

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rl_jackson
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you tried enabling your Map workspace and using an FDO of the data. There are also numerous options other than FDO to import the data to C3D. (I'm not familiar with MDX format, but the Map Workspace would be a good start)

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
ChicagoLooper

Yes. Export your imagery layer from your mxd and make sure your create a world file during the export. Save the exported image to a folder with the world file in a format such as jpeg or tiff. (I am assuming your world file will be state plane, CA83, zone 5, feet.)

Open your Civil 3D drawing, then do this:

1. Change your workspace from Civil 3D to 'Planning and Analysis.'
  2. If your have already assigned a coordinate system to your workspace, then fine, you're good. If not, then type MAPCSASSIGN on command line, then in search box, type in CA83. From the results, select CA83, Zone 5, units=feet (EPSG 2229) then click ASSIGN.
  3. Home tab=>Data panel=>Connect icon. The Data connect palette appears.
  4.  Highlight 'Add Raster Image or....... and click the blue image icon next to 'Source file or folder.'
  5. Browse to the image you exported from the mxd, select it, then OPEN.
  6. The black are of Source File or Folder will now show the link to your image. Click CONNECT.  
  7.  Use the left-right slider to view your image's coordinate system. It should be CA83-VF which is consistent with the world file you created when the image was exported from ARCGIS. If it isn't, click 'Edit Coordinate System' below the dark gray area titled 'Add Data to Map' and edit it to match the world file.
  8. Below the slider, click Add to Map.  

Your exported image should be accurately georeferenced to your line work.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Thank you for the assistance.

I believe I can do all the Civil 3D steps no problem. However I am having some trouble creating the jpeg/tiff (perhaps I should be asking this on the ESRI forums). A few questions:

1. You said to export the "Imagery" layer. Can I do this with the "Geologic Units" vector layer instead (it is what I am really interested in). Or does the fact that it's vector data change things?

2. What is the right method for exporting layers? I am doing Rightclick->Data->Export Data, but I don't see anything about a world file and I can't specify Jpeg/tiff (it defaults to shapefile). I looked through the ArcToolbox Conversion tools but didn't find anything appropriate.

Thanks again

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

You can connect to the GIS and style it to look however you want in Map 3D. Map 3D can be run from C3D using the workspaces for Map, or by using MAPCONNECT (connect to the GIS) and MAPWSPACE to open the map workspace which allows you to style the *Map* layers to look however you want.

If you went this route hopefully you could do it in a template and thus just once.

Message 6 of 9
ChicagoLooper

To save a georeferenced image from ArcGIS to a jpeg, try this.

1. From ArcGIS, turn off all layers except for your image layer.
  2. Go to File=>Export Map (see image-1 below)
  3. Name and save your map to jpeg or another image format. Check 'Write World File' during export. Your image will inherit the Coordinate System in your data view. (see image-2 below)
  4. Go to Civil 3D and switch from Civil workspace to Planning & Analysis workspace. Enter MAPCSASSIGN on command line.
  5. In search box, type CA83 then select CA83-VF. Then click ASSIGN.
  6. From Data Connect palette, choose Add Raster Image,.Click image icon next to source file and browse to your image that you exported from ArcGIS, then OPEN. Back in Data Connect, CONNECT.
  7. Edit your image coordinate system if necessary (it should be, and must be, your data view CS from ArcGIS, if not edit it). Then click 'Add to Map.' Your map will go to modelspace. It will be geospatially accurate.

1-Keep image layer ON. Turn OFF all other layers. Go to File=>Export Map.1-Keep image layer ON. Turn OFF all other layers. Go to File=>Export Map.2-Name and save image. Check 'Wrie World File.' '2-Name and save image. Check 'Wrie World File.' '3-Image exported from ArcMap. Data Connect to C3D. Road shapefile with labels.3-Image exported from ArcMap. Data Connect to C3D. Road shapefile with labels.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
ChicagoLooper

To export vectors from ArcGIS, yes you're correct. right-click layer then Data=>Export Data. Name and save to a folder. The export procedure will create, at a minimum, four files automatically, shp, shx, dbf, and prj. You don't need to create a world file when exporting vectors because the prj file serves the purpose of telling the geometry 'where to go' relative to the coordinate system your Cad drawing utilizes.

To export vectors, right click layer=>Data=>Export Data.To export vectors, right click layer=>Data=>Export Data.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

This worked. Thanks a million. 

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Being a City entity out county appraisal district updates our gis maps after every flyover.

We use raster tools insert to bring in the ecw image of the county.  Our gps surveys overlay perfectly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report