Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
demus72
605 Views, 10 Replies

Updates

When updates come available, does the latest update include any earlier updates? For example, the latest Civil 3D 2023 update is C3D_2023_2_3_Update. The previous update was C3D_2023_2_2_Update. Does 2_3 include 2_2, or would users need to install 2_2 prior to installing 2_3?

Next question, do the Civil 3D updates include plain AutoCad updates or do they need to be installed separately? For example, there is an update for AutoCad 2023, AutoCAD_2023.1.3_Update. If users are working in Civil 3D, does this AutoCad update need to be installed in addition to the Civil 3D updates?

Thank you

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
DarrenP
in reply to: demus72

From the read me: Note: The Civil 3D 2023.2.3 Update includes the fixes in all prior updates to Civil 3D 2023 and can be installed on any prior version of Civil 3D 2023.

The autocad updates are separate from the civil 3d ones

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 11
pendean

@demus72 wrote:

When updates come available, does the latest update include any earlier updates?

Almost always yes, but it's up to you to verify that in the README file if you don't want to wait for the update to stop and tell you it needs an earlier one installed first.

@demus72 wrote:

Next question, do the Civil 3D updates include plain AutoCad updates or do they need to be installed separately? 

Those are always listed differently, if you've never looked before today here is a screenshot

https://manage.autodesk.com/products/CIV3D?version=2023&platform=WIN64&language=EINT 

pendean_0-1692727074517.png

Message 4 of 11
demus72

Thank you for the information, this is helpful.

I am still curious about the plain AutoCad updates. Yes, they are listed separately, but if we're running Civil 3D do we need to install AutoCad updates or can we just install the Civil 3D updates and skip the AutoCad ones? Our Cad Manager is under the impression the AutoCad updates are included in the Civil 3D updates.

Thank you

Message 5 of 11
DarrenP

why wouldn't you want to install them?

i always do

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 6 of 11
demus72
in reply to: DarrenP

I'm with you DarrenP, I've always installed them. My supervisor believes the AutoCad updates are included in the Civil 3D updates so we don't need to install them. I think we do.

Message 7 of 11
demus72

I contacted our reseller and was told Civil 3D users don't need to install AutoCad updates. Can anyone confirm this to be true?

Thank you

Message 8 of 11
DarrenP

what is wrong with installing Autocad updates?

is it a requirement no but definitely recommended

you can run Civil 3D without the Autocad updates

DarrenP

Message 9 of 11
Cadguru42

The problem is that Autodesk is confusing users by not considering Civil 3D as a toolset. When Civil 3D is installed there is no AutoCAD shortcut nor a "Civil 3D as AutoCAD" shortcut anymore. Autodesk wants the users to install AutoCAD separately than Civil 3D, so from an IT perspective I can see why they get confused. If C3D doesn't come with AutoCAD, then why wouldn't the C3D updates include the AutoCAD and Map updates as well? 

It used to be the C3D updates included all the previous AutoCAD updates and Map 3d updates, but because it was taking so long to get the updates out Autodesk decided to separate them out. But then the Desktop App (or Autodesk Access now) wouldn't list the Map updates for Civil 3D users. 

Autodesk is confusing everything because they don't have a unified system for delivering updates. C3D has its own updates, but since C3D is built upon Map 3d and ACAD those updates are needed as well even if there is no specific program called "Map 3d" nor "AutoCAD" installed. 

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 11
pendean
Message 11 of 11
andrewpuller3811

From the Civil 3d Release notes for 2023.2.2, "Note: The AutoCAD 2023.1.3 Update is included in the Civil 3D 2023.2.2 Update. The Civil 3D 2023.2.2 Update includes the fixes in all prior updates to Civil 3D 2023 and can be installed on any prior version of Civil 3D 2023."

Release notes are located here - https://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2023/ENU/?guid=Civil3D_ReleaseNotes_2023_2_2_Release_Notes_html

You can check the relevant release notes for each update on the Civil 3d help pages.

I would check the release notes for the updates to find what is included.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report