Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Create Contours from Google Earth

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
James_Summers6QAS7
508 Views, 9 Replies

Trying to Create Contours from Google Earth

Hi all,

I tried following this video step-by-step to create a contoured surface in C3D from Google Earth, but when I tried to import my points, I get a message that says "No points could be transferred from the source."  I don't know why this is happening.  Can anyone help fill me in? Conversely, does anyone know of a better way to do this (without being able to go to the site myself and survey it)?  Much appreciated.  

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

There is something wrong with your data.  The first two columns should be at least 6 digits if they are lat/long.  Your B column looks like a repeat of the elevation column F.

I think there are better workflows nowadays.  It depends which country you are residing in and where your project is based.  For example; here in Auckland I can get free elevation data from the council website. I think most local authorities have a GIS department which manage this sort of data and make it accessible to engineering firms for development work.

Alternatively, if you have Infraworks.  You can use the model builder and start your project there and Infraworks will download freely accessible data.  I am not entirely sure where this data comes from however so I'd recommend you find what sources are available to you first as mentioned above.

m_kingdon_0-1710716474208.png

Mike Kingdon
Civil 3D Zealot

EESignature

Message 3 of 10

Sorry, I think I'm missing something.  From the screen shot you included, it looks like both columns do have at least six digits and the B column is the inverse of hte F column (I had to use the abs value command to convert it to positive value).  

Message 4 of 10

6 digits before the decimal point.   This is what coordinates should look like.

m_kingdon_0-1710717651604.png

Mike Kingdon
Civil 3D Zealot

EESignature

Message 5 of 10

Ah, I see.  Ok.  Looks like something got lost in translation then.  I'm not sure how it ended up like that.  I don't have access to Infraworks (hadn't even heard of it) but it looks like it would be pretty useful for this sort of thing.  

Message 6 of 10

Check out the websites of the local authorities where your site is based then.  Surely you have access to this type of data?  Otherwise, how do you get access to property boundaries and utility locations?  Unless you site is in the middle of nowhere?

Mike Kingdon
Civil 3D Zealot

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
fcernst
in reply to: m_kingdon

Not lat/long.. (-90 to 90 …-180 to 180)..

those are from some projected system in your drawing. 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 10

Hi James,
Elevations from Google Earth are not the best data out there. Try these:

https://nsgi.novascotia.ca/datalocator/elevation/

https://geonova.novascotia.ca/news-blog/geonova-releases-lidar-and-elevation-data

https://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/66525e34-5020-a48f-c034-2ef237ef4a8e

https://data.novascotia.ca/Lands-Forests-and-Wildlife/Nova-Scotia-Topographic-Database-Digital-Terra...

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 9 of 10

James,
I had some time, so I grabbed some nice LiDAR data from >>>Here<<< and then Merged and Cropped to your Area Of Interest.

Edit: Before using that nice LiDAR data you'll want to filter Ground (2) points only, which I did in the attached ReCap file. My attached drawing also includes your CSV file as COGO Points. (Display of points is turned off) The Longitudes should be negative for Nova Scotia.
ReCap files attached.
Dave

SheetHarbour_1.png

SheetHarbour_2.png

SheetHarbour_3.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 10 of 10

That is super helpful.  Thank you very much, Dave.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report