Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Parcels

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
andrew.robinson4HZXU
1515 Views, 12 Replies

Trouble with Parcels

Hi folks,

Got another question for you. I'm trying to learn how to use parcels to do lot layouts for developments my company is going to create. As I'm the only one in the office to know anything about parcels, I have no one to turn to for help when the command goes south! So, I'm asking you guys. Here's the issue: why does the command work sometimes and not other times? Attached is a test drawing I created and defined the site, defined alignments, created the ROW using the parcel command - and then had to add the cul-de-sac - not an easy act, mind you, I offset the ROW lines to set the rear lot lines, and then I used the "Parcel Creation Tools" to make lots. Now, it worked fine going up the minor road and around the cul-de-sac, but when I try to do lots along the east side of the center road, I get the old "No Solutions" error message! Why? It doesn't make any sense. I put in the data:

Area is 5,500 S.F., Min. Frontage is 50', use frontage is "yes", offset is 25', minimum width is 50', min. depth I set at 100' (the lots are 110', but I seem to get more errors when I use the exact figure, even though the rear lot line is established! Again, go figure), max. depth I leave at 500', and I leave the auto mode off. So, why does it work on one road and not the other? Can anyone help me on this? I can't figure out what is so blessed different between these two roads!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Parcels can be more trouble then they are worth.  I've found laying out lots and right of way and cul de sacs much easier by simply using straight autocad linework.  This method has much more flexibility in creation and editing.  Then i use the bpoly command to make closed polygons out of all the parcels (don't worry about right of way).  Then i turn all of the closed polygons into parcels by objects.  That's they only way we dare to use parcels due to their inherent inefficiencies.

Message 3 of 13

I do mostly the same as @_Hathaway , except I forego the Bpoly part.

That being said, I was able to create parcels along the east side of both the center street and the westerly street. I tested with both automatic and manual layout (slide line method). The only place I ran into the No Solution is at the curve/angle point in the westerly street/lots.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 13

I understand your view, and I've used that method in the past, but I've got a project with several thousand lots coming up in a couple weeks! I have to be able to create a LOT of lots in a very short time, and my boss is REALLY on me to learn how to use parcels. So, I've got no choice on this issue.

Message 5 of 13

You did it? And you used the same parameters? Oy! there you go, once more this program seems out to screw me!!!! ****, I sure wish I understood it better so I had some clue as to why it does that. Thanks for your efforts, I only wish things had NOT gone so well for you - no offense. I mean, if you'd gotten the same error as I did that would have told me that there was something wrong with the drawing and/or program. Now what do I do?

Message 6 of 13

I just went into the drawing and tried to add lots along the east side of the center road - starting opposite Lot 10 - and I got the same message: "No Solution Found"! When I turned off using the frontage setback, it worked, but it still begs the question:

Why do I have to do that on that road but not on the other? What is so bloody different between these two areas????

Message 7 of 13

Try recording a screencast to show exactly how you are performing the command and how it fails. In the past, when I've actually used the Parcel creation tools, I did find that if I changed around the order/direction of the selections then it would work after it failed. But then there were times I got frustrated enough to just go back to my manual layout using lines/arcs offset and a calculator for the odd shaped lots.
EESignature
Message 8 of 13

Where are you picking for the start/end of the frontage? When I select the north end of the center street r/w as the start and the south end as the end it works fine. If I select the northeast end of the return arc as the start and the south end of the east r/w, then I get the No Solution.

EESignature
Message 9 of 13

I don't know how to record a screencast, but I did try going the other way on the lot. I got the same error message on the first lot, the one at the intersection, but the lots after that one worked, which is at least a slight improvement! So, maybe I just have to learn to do some with the frontage setback turned off and just sort of "fudge" them, and then go from there. I mean, at least it means I can lay out some of the lots, and I've got a LOT to do! Thanks for the input. Who knows, maybe someday I figure it out.

Message 10 of 13

FYI: http://screencast.autodesk.com/
EESignature
Message 11 of 13

Wow, I went back and tried that: picking the straight section of the first lot and NOT up along the curve, and it worked!! Can you believe that? THAT one little difference was enough to get the command to work. Shesh, someone at the company needs to look into this. I'm sorry, but a glitch THIS big is a real hassle for potential use.

Oh well, at least I now have a handle on how to use the command. I'm going to write up some DETAILED instructions for my company to keep on file for when we use the command in future. Thank you, one and all, for your input and help. I truly appreciate it!

Message 12 of 13

Thanks for the link, but I can't download anything to my company without company approval. I appreciate the effort.

Message 13 of 13

Actually, it makes sense in how it works. The prompt is "Select start point on frontage." By picking on the curve you are starting on the side lot line, not the frontage.
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report