Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool Palette Properties Locked

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
784 Views, 4 Replies

Tool Palette Properties Locked

C3D 2018/2020

We have created several tool palette panels for our work. I have to set it up on every machine. About 2/3 of them fail because it can't find the source drawing. In the past I selected all of the palette tools and RC to get their properties, then changed the source drawing to the correct drawing.

Today there is one machine in which the tool properties are greyed out, or locked. Anyone have an idea of how I can remedy this? It's looking locally for the networked palette source drawing and I can't change it.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
MMcCall402
in reply to: Anonymous

Tool pallets will show a lock symbol when the pallet is located in a folder that is 'read only' for that user.

The location of the source drawing might be specified using a drive letter mapped to a network location that isn't set for that user or is inaccessible.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 3 of 5
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: Anonymous

AutoCAD may not know where to look.....

Options=>Support Files

Is the source drawing centrally located on a server?

There are advantages and disadvantages about a source drawing on a server. Everyone uses the same blocks, no exceptions. If a block is updated, it's updated for everyone, no discrimination. Any block added to, or deleted from, the source drawing affects everyone the same way. You need an internet connection, working remotely might be an issue., e.g., VPN connection. Two users editing the source drawing simultaneously might cause issues when neither one realizes someone else is in the source drawing making edits. i.e. who saves the changes first, who save the changes last? Which 'save' dominates?

Chicagolooper
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: MMcCall402

Yeah, the user has only read access to the correct folder, but he definitely has it mapped on his machine.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

The drawing file is centrally located on the network. I am the only person at our agency who can write to the folder. Nobody here vpn's in, so there are no issues there (it's slow enough just on our citywide network).

Not sure what is going on. We did set that file location in OPTIONs, not sure if the user has restarted to see if it holds or not.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report