Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Feet And Inches Thing

47 REPLIES 47
SOLVED
Message 1 of 48
Pointdump
5469 Views, 47 Replies

The Feet And Inches Thing

I keep a pocket calculator next to me when I'm calc-ing building points. That way I can convert, say, 1' 3-1/2" to 1.291667' so that I can offset lines. Well, this morning I needed to convert some state plane coords to project coords, and my little calculator had insufficient digits. I thought to myself, I wonder if Civil 3D has a calculator. Well, behold, I found it, and its a great little calculator.

Feet_Inches.PNG

There's only one problem. QuickCalc hints at its ability to do length conversions, but I don't know how to input, say, 1' 3-1/2" and convert it to decimal feet.

What would be even better than doing conversions in QuickCalc would be if I could directly input feet-and-inches for any distance inputs.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
47 REPLIES 47
Message 2 of 48
mcward27
in reply to: Pointdump

I believe you can. When the offset command asks for a distance, enter 1-1/12 for 1'-1" or 1-7/24 for 1'-3.5", etc.

Message 3 of 48

The inability of C3D to work with feet & inches (easily) is the biggest complaint our Bridge guys have trying to work on transportation projects. They are used to MicroStation where they can enter feet, inches, and fractions without having to take their hand off the numeric key pad. For example 10'-3 1/2" inches is entered 1..3 1/2.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 4 of 48
Pointdump
in reply to: mcward27

Thanks MC,

I was looking for something simpler, like inputting 1'3-1/2" or 1f3-1/2i. It looks like I'll keep my pocket calculator nearby. I had high hopes for a second that QuickCalc might accept a feet-and-inch input. Doesn't seem to, and I can't find anything in the Help Section.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 5 of 48
neilyj666

We in the metric world just look on smugly...;)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 48

Neilyj, Just rub it in why don't ya!

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 7 of 48
Neilw_05

Unfortunately it doesn't support ft. and in. symbols in the input. You'll have to input math functions instead. So to convert 1' 3-1/2" from inches to feet you could enter 1*12+3+1/2. It's a cumbersome solution.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 48
wfberry
in reply to: Neilw_05

In my little world, I recognize 3" as .25 and  1/2" as .04 and just enter 1.29.

Smiley Happy

Bill

Message 9 of 48
Pointdump

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately it doesn't support ft. and in. symbols in the input. You'll have to input math functions instead. So to convert 1' 3-1/2" from inches to feet you could enter 1*12+3+1/2. It's a cumbersome solution.

That sure is cumbersome! My $20 pocket calculator is far easier.

It's a shame that Metric never caught on here.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 10 of 48
Pointdump
in reply to: wfberry

@Anonymous wrote:

In my little world, I recognize 3" as .25 and  1/2" as .04 and just enter 1.29.

Smiley Happy

Bill

Bill,

I've never been good at head math. As long as I can remember, people have been shaking their heads at my inability to add 2 + 2 without a calculator. 🙂

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 11 of 48
Neilw_05

You do know that when you have units set to inches you can input 1'3.5" don't you?

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 12 of 48
Pointdump

@Anonymous wrote:

You do know that when you have units set to inches you can input 1'3.5" don't you?

I sure didn't. But setting drawing units to inches sounds dangerous. My pocket calculator is a safer workaround.

I've been doing some reading in the Help Section. Something about a CAL command, but I don't know how to use it:

Format Feet and Inches (CAL Command)

Enter feet and inches using the following format:
feet'-inches" or feet' inches" or feet'inches"
You can separate feet, inches, and fractional inches with a dash, a space, or nothing. You can use any of the following syntax cases to enter valid feet-inch formatted values:
5' or 60”
5'-9” or 5' 9” or 5'9”
5'-1/2” or 5' 1/2” or 5'1/2”
5'-9-1/2” or 5' 9-1/2” or 5'9-1/2”
5'-9 1/2” or 5' 9 1/2” or 5'9 1/2”
To designate inches for linear calculations, entering double quotes (“) is optional. For example, instead of entering 5'9-1/2”, you could enter 5'9-1/2.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 13 of 48
troma
in reply to: neilyj666

neilyj wrote:
We in the metric world just look on smugly...;)

Reminds me of a comment I once made.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 14 of 48
jmayo-EE

We still get hand drafted arch plans so we have been down the same road. Our solution was to separate the feet/inches work from the deimal feet work.

Working with Civil 3D as AutoCAD, we scan the paper plans into a acad file with units set as inches. We get the all of the 2d drafing done working with the feet-inch units on the plan and save the file. We then xref or insert the file as a block into C3D to begin the site design (decimal feet) work. I'm thinking it may be tough for you to separate the units with the work in your case and this may not be possible...

If you venture into this and INSUNITS, INSUNITSDEFSOURCE and INSUNITS are set correctly in the acad and c3d profiles the units will automatically convert when you xref or insert.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 15 of 48
Neilw_05

You can use the CAL command transparently. When prompted for input just type 'cal and you can then enter your math formula. It's still more work than just inputting 1'3.5.

Typically when we do structural or architectural drafting we do it in separate dwgs with units set to architectural and then XREF them into our civil drawings scaled down at 1/12. Of course if there are only a few features that need to be drawn, we'll just draw them in the civil dwg and convert the inputs as you are doing.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 16 of 48
Cadguru42

I use the 'CAL transparent command quite frequently. When I need something offset, say 7.5 inches, I do OFFSET, then for distance I type 'CAL, then do 7.5/12. That offsets it perfectly without having to deal with rounding errors, also.

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
Message 17 of 48
Pointdump

"You can use the CAL command transparently. When prompted for input just type 'cal and you can then enter your math formula. It's still more work than just inputting 1'3.5."

I can't get either of those to work. No matter what I do, I still get:

"Requires numeric distance, two points, or option keyword."

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 18 of 48
Pointdump
in reply to: Cadguru42

@Anonymous wrote:

I use the 'CAL transparent command quite frequently. When I need something offset, say 7.5 inches, I do OFFSET, then for distance I type 'CAL, then do 7.5/12. That offsets it perfectly without having to deal with rounding errors, also.

That works good for anything under 12 inches, but whenever I try to throw feet in the mix, it doesn't work.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 19 of 48
Neilw_05

It seems CAL requires that units be set to architectural before it will recognize the ' and " symbols. I've never used it this way so it's a learning experience for me too.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 20 of 48
Cadguru42

@Pointdump wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That works good for anything under 12 inches, but whenever I try to throw feet in the mix, it doesn't work.

Dave

In those instances I just offset to the nearest foot, then offset again using 'CAL. I find that's faster than going to the calculator, doing the conversion, then copying and pasting the number back in ACAD. 

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report