Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

template cleanup

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
MHDCAD
250 Views, 4 Replies

template cleanup

I was just hired at a new job and I'm tasked with creating standards. As part of this, I am trying to clean up a template that has been used since about 2009. There are a lot of things that reference items that have been created by random people throughout the years. For example, we have a bunch of profile view styles, labels and so on, that use several different text styles/sizes. I'd like to try and clean this template up from having literally 20 different text styles down to a few main styles.

The problem is, because of the number of styles and labels and so on that we use, it will take forever to clean it up and there is a decent chance I'll miss something small so I won't be able to purge it out anyways.

Is there a better way to do this? Is there a better way to do this? Does anyone have any advice on how to clean this template file up after it has been mishandled for so many years?

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jrothman412
in reply to: MHDCAD

Im doing the same. I created a new template and using command "ADC" to import elements into my new template.

Message 3 of 5
MHDCAD

Yeah. I have thought about just starting over from scratch but then I either need to recreate all the styles that we use with the new properties or go through each style manually and edit it before I copy it over.  Otherwise it will just take the text styles, layers and other info with it.

Message 4 of 5
jrothman412

I misunderstood. I was thinking your existing template had the data you wanted but also had more data that you did not want. If you have to edit the data before extracting to a new template, then maybe ADC is not the best approach like you were saying. Hopefully someone knows a better method. If not I would still extract what I needed to a new template and then edit the data.

Message 5 of 5
civilman1957

Morning, Josh...

I've been the cad manager at my firm for a little over 8 years, and I had the same situation when I got here. The best way is to start over. I'd create a fresh template, and import the pieces you want via the Design Center and Import Styles and Settings, then start rebuilding from there. There's not a quick and easy way, but that would be safer than, as you said, trying to patch the old ones up and missing something...

Cad Manager/Senior Engineering Technician
Autodesk Certified Professional

Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-7700 CPU
3.60 GHz/24 GB BEAST
Civil 3D 2013/2014/2017/2018/2020

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report