Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tailwater in Hydraflow StormSewers

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
1341 Views, 13 Replies

Tailwater in Hydraflow StormSewers

I have a 15" pipe going into a 36" pipe (subsurface detention) at 0.5% minimum slope. I've entered in the inverts, rim elevations, calculated rate going into the inlet. When I run the system (Known Qs only), I put in the starting downstream HGL as the maximum water surface elevation in the 100-year storm based on Hydraflow Hydrographs.

Downstream inv. = 500.08

Water surface elev. = 503.00

Storm Sewers is defaulting the HGL to critical Depth (500.50), which doesn't allow me to see if there is a surcharge in the inlet.

I recognize that Tc wise, the pipe should be empty by the time the basin reaches it's maximum WSE, but why is the program just now limiting me to critical depth, when we've used pressure flow in the past?

Labels (3)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
pperales2
in reply to: Anonymous

Check the design codes

pperales2_0-1640722834593.png

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: pperales2

jhessS5KTM_0-1640723376780.png

Here are the design codes, but regardless changing the minimum depth shouldn't affect anything since the critical depth calculated is less than the tailwater I want to use.

Message 4 of 14
pperales2

Can you post the .stm?
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

It's not letting me attach the file. 

jhessS5KTM_0-1640723922075.png

Message 6 of 14
pperales2

Well if I understand what you are doing which is use the 36" pipe as a detention pond and the 100yr WSE is 3' basically the 36" pipe is full then set the starting HGL at the crown.
Message 7 of 14
pperales2

pperales2_0-1640723986451.png

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks!
Message 9 of 14
fcernst

Place it in a zipfile..

You should be able to model your high tailwater condition.. the software just won't allow you to specify an elevation BELOW critical depth...

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

See attached. Thanks.

Message 11 of 14
fcernst

There's only one 12" line in there..?

Screenshot 2021-12-28 140214.png

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: fcernst

Yes -- this is just a one-off pipe and is only connected to a basin not to another network. This is not for an actual conveyance calculation (yet), but for now is being used to make sure that the basin design is adequate. My fault though in that it should be 15". But that doesn't really matter, as I just tried again with that edit and it still doesn't let me assign a higher TW condition than the crown.

Thanks again.

Message 13 of 14
fcernst

Ok.. yes I can get the 503.00 to work.. make sure you are pressing ENTER after typing the tailwater elevation...

Screenshot 2021-12-28 141118.png

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: fcernst

Thanks, this has never happened to me before, but I appreciate the effort to help figure out such an obvious solution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report