Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swap subassembly in existing Assembly

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2782 Views, 10 Replies

Swap subassembly in existing Assembly

Civil 3D 2008.
How do you swap a subassembly with another subassembly in an existing Assembly? At the moment I am deleting the outer subassemblies and the one in question, then recreating - there must be a better way.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

This is what I do. I am sure there is resistance to this method, but so far
(knock on papyrus) it has worked "perfectiley". Before I delete the outer
subassemblies I always copy them individually right below (or above), then I
re-attach after I drag in my new one.

Bill

wrote in message news:5821583@discussion.autodesk.com...
Civil 3D 2008.
How do you swap a subassembly with another subassembly in an existing
Assembly? At the moment I am deleting the outer subassemblies and the one in
question, then recreating - there must be a better way.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

That's the method I use as well. There's not much better unfortunately.

--
James Wedding, P.E.
Engineered Efficiency, Inc.
The Site: www.eng-eff.com
The Blog: www.civil3d.com
The Book: www.masteringcivil3d.com
C3D SP2 Mac Book Pro, XP SP2, 3GB
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

That makes sense. As I continue to use Civ 3D I am finding that solutions are far simpler than I expected.
Thanks for this one.
Did anybody add "Referencing Assemblies" to the Civ 3D wish list, or am I the only user that would like this functionality?
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Better than referencing, you can add whole assemblies to the tool pallettes. So just like you drag a subassembly off the tool pallette, you can drag the whole assembly into any open drawing, without doing any data shortcuts and drefing.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

There is a better way.

Select the subassembly that is to be swapped in, then click/type Replace on the Command Line and select the subassembly that is to be swapped out. C3D inserts the new one in place of the old.

Message 7 of 11
sboon

Fair warning, some of us get annoyed when you post to a thread as old as this one.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 11
joantopo
in reply to: sboon

I don´t understand why there is not a "Replace" button in the context ribbon (and context menu) when we select a subassembly...

In fact, I told this in IdeaStation:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideastation/replace-subassembly-selecting-assembly/i...

Autocad C3D 2019 SP3, 2020 & 2021
Intel I9 9900K with frontal watercooler alphacool eisbaer 360 (original fans mounted in pull)- 3 fans Corsair 120 ML PRO in push.
MOBO Gygabyte Z390 Aorus Master- Corsair RGB Vengeance 64GB RAM (4x16) CL16
Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB (unit C). Samsung 970 PRO 512GB (for data)
Power Supply: Corsair TX850M PLUS

Descubre mi programa VisorNET para Civil 3D:
https://apps.autodesk.com/CIV3D/es/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3avisornet_windows32and64%3aes
Message 9 of 11
joantopo
in reply to: joantopo

@Anonymous

Sorry, I am trying to follow your steps but the command: Replace , doesn´t exist.

I Think that you are talking about choosing subassembly from Tool Palette while I refer to choose it from the drawing.
Autocad C3D 2019 SP3, 2020 & 2021
Intel I9 9900K with frontal watercooler alphacool eisbaer 360 (original fans mounted in pull)- 3 fans Corsair 120 ML PRO in push.
MOBO Gygabyte Z390 Aorus Master- Corsair RGB Vengeance 64GB RAM (4x16) CL16
Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB (unit C). Samsung 970 PRO 512GB (for data)
Power Supply: Corsair TX850M PLUS

Descubre mi programa VisorNET para Civil 3D:
https://apps.autodesk.com/CIV3D/es/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3avisornet_windows32and64%3aes
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: joantopo

Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

You first select (from the Tool Palette) the subassembly that you want to swap in. One of the command options is Replace, which shows in the command line or, with dynamic input turned on, if you press the down arrow. Either way, select Replace and then click on the subassembly that you want to replace. The subassembly is replaced and there are a couple of prompts for options after that.

Message 11 of 11
russelltnelson

A subassembly can't be replaced when it is a part of an assembly that is being referenced. 

What works for me is to copy the entire assembly near the original. Then drag the desired subassembly onto the new assembly and follow the prompts to replace the subassembly.  Verify the parameters of the replaced subassembly meet your design criteria.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

Rail Community