Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Help

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
PKINGSTON
738 Views, 13 Replies

Surface Help

I have been having issues with my computer freezing and I now believe that has some to do with the surface creation. My company is provided with a drawing that has all Lidar for the City. Query and redraw the area I am redesigning. My file for a Lidar-only file is 3294KB but after creating the surface it becomes 20,945KB.

I have tried a different approach with weedfeature for the polylines. I select angle 2.00(d), no grade, length 50.00', and no 3D distance. It weeds out 43763 of 216925. Use 2862KB to 18932KB. 

Is there anything else I can do to reduce the size of the surface?

I shortcut the created surface into my other design drawings.

Labels (5)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
neilyj666
in reply to: PKINGSTON

Did you try SIMPLIFY surface?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 14
PKINGSTON

When I try that the surface the contour lines distort and attach themselves to other lines.

Message 4 of 14
PKINGSTON

The pinkish/green lines join multiple times on a contour line and the white/gray lines do not. @neilyj666 

Message 5 of 14
neilyj666

@PKINGSTON  Yes - contours are the most inefficient objects when trying to build a surface and you get odd things happening when the contours make sharp changes of direction. You can try changing the surface build order and move the minimise flat areas to be the last operation but you may possibly get better results if you had the original point cloud data in a file.....🤔

Screenshot 2021-09-16 080832.jpg

The file size will increase as there are many triangles created for the surface although the resulting dwg isn't particularly large in terms of MB.

Have you tried cropping the surface into smaller areas - this is my usual work flow? I work on a lot of windfarms which cover many km² within the site boundary but the actual infrastructure occupies a much smaller area

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
PKINGSTON

I usually try to make my surface the smallest I can. I design utilities and paving projects for my city. I use a rule of thumb to create a surface: 1) add 100' to the alignment length in both directions, 2) extend the width by one block to each side, and 3) use 1' weeding factor and 2' supplementing factor for as many minimize flat areas. The longest project I am working on is 2.1 miles long.

Message 7 of 14
jefflambert9091

You can "Mapclean" ( I have tried weeding the polylines and tried "PLdiet" but maplean does a better job and is faster) Then create a surface from those contours. After that you can them simplify the surface in the edits (use Edge contraction) to take it down more. The danger is hacking the surface too far and losing the integrity. I always keep the original surface (in its own file) and compare.

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 8 of 14

My last post is if you were supplied contours from the lidar data. If you have the lidar data I would recommend using C3D Lidar Tools. Once you have a surface you can simplify by 90% and keep the integrity of the surface.  

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 9 of 14
neilyj666
in reply to: jefflambert9091

@jefflambert9091 Whilst it is very useful does Mapclean > Weed Polylines work on 2D polylines?

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
PKINGSTON

@jefflambert9091 That is what I was looking for it reduced my file sizes by half.

Message 11 of 14
jefflambert9091
in reply to: neilyj666

There is Simplify Objects in the Cleanup Actions list. I had to go to help and look at the about and the settings a tolerances. I did not realize how much/many things mapclean does. For now, I just use it for cleaning up contours.   

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 12 of 14
neilyj666
in reply to: jefflambert9091

I'd forgotten how powerful MAPCLEAN is...😀...but one has to be careful that the resultant surface is still fit for purpose e.g. a large surface for catchment analysis would be very different to one required for a housing project.

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
PKINGSTON

I will be careful and compare the surfaces using my profiles for the utility and paving project. @jefflambert9091 @neilyj666 

Message 14 of 14
jefflambert9091

The best way is to keep the original surface and place it in a different surface style. (I keep it in its own dwg and  datashortcut it) I have a "1 and 5 TINN" surface style with the contour lines being colors Cyan and Blue. I then have my reduced surface in a different style "1 and 5 EG" with the contour lines being colors 7 & 2. If the contours start to move off the original you have gone to far. 

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report