Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Display Confusion

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
AllenJessup
250 Views, 8 Replies

Surface Display Confusion

I created a Surface from a Point Cloud. First time doing it in Civil 3D. The Point Cloud was from a drone flight.

No matter what  Surface Style I apply. I don't see any contours. I tried changing the Visual style from 3D wireframe to 2D wireframe with no effect.

AllenJessup_0-1711981437850.png

BTW. I did a Plan > World to make sure I was in plan.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Labels (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

@AllenJessup Are you sure you are in a plan view there - I'm just seeing triangles which should not be displaying according to the style, which makes me think your view may be slightly rotated.

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 3 of 9

@brian.strandberg Yes. I did Plan > World to make sure. Added that to my post after-the-fact.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
cwr001
in reply to: AllenJessup

I'm pretty certain you've got this covered, but any chance the "C-TOPO_MAJR_N" and "C-TOPO_MINR_N"-layers are frozen? That's what would happen to me after having troubleshooted for an hour... 🙂

Message 5 of 9
AllenJessup
in reply to: cwr001

@cwr001 I just thought of that two minutes ago. They're both on and thawed.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
cwr001

Any chance we can have a look at the drawing?

Message 7 of 9
AllenJessup

Strange development. I have Sincpac. That allows me to toggle Contour, Triangles, etc. display on and off. It looks like that routine sees a style that should only display Triangles. I used it to turn the Contours on and the Triangles off. I can see the Contours then.

@Jeff_M any ideas?

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
AllenJessup
in reply to: cwr001

@cwr001 wrote:

Any chance we can have a look at the drawing?

This sees to have brought up more issues. I wanted to see if I could reduce the size of the drawing so I copied the Surface and Point Cloud to a new drawing. The Surface displays correctly in the new drawing. The drawing size also doubled!

Recover gave no errors on either drawings.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
AllenJessup

I tried copying the Surface from the drawing I pasted it into back to the original drawing. No Contours.

I tried overwriting the Surface Style. No Contours.

I abandoned trying to fix the drawing and pasted the Surface and Point Cloud into a new drawing. Contours showed as they should. Point Cloud came in Unloaded and I couldn't Reload it.

I detached the Point Cloud and reinserted it. Now I can see the Contours and the Point Cloud.

The file size is nearly back to the original. Still large but not twice what it should be.

Sometimes drawings break beyond repair.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report