Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Boundaries

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
654work
468 Views, 6 Replies

Surface Boundaries

I am having issues using Boundaries with surfaces.  When I add a boundary, either Outer or Data Clip, the surface does not clip as expected.  I end up with no clip or clipped outside of the closed boundary.  I have a feature line that crosses the boundary, would this cause the issue?

C3D 2016, SP3

Win 10

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sboon
in reply to: 654work

A data clip boundary is applied to the data as it is being added to the surface, before the TIN is built.  I'm guessing that you're trying to add one to a surface that already exists - the software doesn't work that way.

Open the Properties dialog for your surface and switch to the definition tab.  Make sure that the Clip boundary is at the top of the list, before any points or breaklines etc. are added.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 7
tcorey

A data clip boundary only works if it is the very first item in the surface definition list. See Surface Properties, Definition tab. See the operations list at the bottom. Re-order so that Data Clip boundary is at the very top.

The Outer Boundary must be below the breakline or it won't work. I usually put the boundary below all operations that add data to the surface.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 7
654work
in reply to: tcorey

I should have mentioned that I already moved the data clip to the top of the list in properties of the surface.  Thee Outer is at the bottom.

Message 5 of 7
654work

What I attempted to say in my reply is I have moved the Data Clip above all other items in the surface properties.  I also make sure the Outer boundary is below all items in the surface properties.  I'm at a loss for how to resolve this.  I prefer to use boundaries but end up having to edit (delete) tin lines.

Message 6 of 7
tcorey

I'd like to see the drawing. Can you post?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 7
654work

I can Monday. Out of town for the weekend.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report