Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub assembly help please

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
randersonK2ZT2
541 Views, 7 Replies

Sub assembly help please

I'm working on my model, and I need to extend the ditch cuts so that the backslope hits an offset on the existing surface. The foreslope and backslope need to stay constant at 4:1 and 3:1. When I set my offset target I need the ditch to change widths not the slopes to change angle. Also I need the option to have seeded grass added as a material like in the daylightbasin. Is that subassembly available or would I need to learn the composer to get this subassembly? The overall subassembly would need a constant angled forslope/backslope with a varying ditch width and a target offset for the top of backslope. all with a material depth option. my profile for my road and ditch are already set. The issue is we need more dirt so my engineer wants me to widen the ditch, but right now I'm using DaylighBasin2 and I can't target the backslope and have the ditch extend to make that happen. The slope is what ends up changing. Any help would be amazing. Thanks either way!

•  
Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cwr-pae
in reply to: randersonK2ZT2

Try a set up similar to what is attached. Pay carefull attention to the order of the subassemblies une assembly properties. The LinkSlopeToElevation for the back slope has to be inserted on the opposite side and then moved to the side for it to work sloping back towards the centerline of the roadway.

Good luck

Message 3 of 8
randersonK2ZT2
in reply to: cwr-pae

Sorry, I'm not sure I explained correctly. I understand what you sent, but
what I'm looking for is this.
[image: image.png]
lease type your reply above this line -##
Message 4 of 8
tcorey

Your image didn't attach. Try adding it through the web interface, not the email reply.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 8
randersonK2ZT2
in reply to: tcorey

Sorry, here is the image. I convinced my engineer that having a straight backslope isn't necessary. And that by extending my ditch to 14', we would almost balance out the whole project. He accepted my solution, but I would love to find out if there was a way to add a target for the top of backslope, so that to achieve the desired offset, it would change to ditch bottom width and not the backslope angle. I'm also the inspector for all of these construction projects, and having a varying backslope ends up being a pain when dealing with a contractor that doesn't have GPS capabilities, and relies on cross sections that are 100' apart. Thanks to anyone thats responded!

Message 6 of 8
cwr-pae

"I would love to find out if there was a way to add a target for the top of backslope, so that to achieve the desired offset, it would change to ditch bottom width and not the backslope angle"

That's exactly what the assembly/corridor example I sent does. The fore slope is fixed at -25%, the back slope is fixed at -20%, the depth is controlled by a profile and the bottom width varies based on those 2 slopes to the depth.

I did neglect to mention the LinkOffsetonsurface needs to be set to "omit" and/or the link and point renamed to not effect the surface produced.

Message 7 of 8
randersonK2ZT2
in reply to: cwr-pae

Yes, your sub did exactly what I needed, but (and I may not know what I'm talking about lol) I don't think any generic subs have any material parameters that can be set. My hope was that one of daylight subs would be able to function like what we have been discussing. Thank you by the way  CWR and TCorey for the responses! I'm going to be learning (through youtube) how to use the Composer, but so far they have been keeping me extremely busy designing this summers projects. Thanks again!

Message 8 of 8
cwr-pae

The generics don't have materials, but you can do materials with codeset style coding for area (display and calculation with Quantity Take Off). Its also possible to use the generics to drive the generic/basic pavement subassemblies to do volumes by cross sections where you define the link, point and shape codes, but that really isn't as productive a use of time as using the QTO manager and area.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report