Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stepped offset 3d polyline

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
3534 Views, 8 Replies

Stepped offset 3d polyline

Hello everybody,

I have the following problem. I want to use Stepped Offset to offset a 3D polyline (it is a closed 3d polyline - rectangle) and I want the new 3d polyline to maintain the same gradient (is this the correct term?) with the original one.

To help you visualize what I mean think that when I choose the Back or Front View of the polylines the must be colinear.

I tried using various values for Grade, Slope, Elevation and Elevation Difference but none had the desired effect.

Do you know any other way that may lead to the same results?

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Anonymous

thta sounds like a sted offset of zero elevation fifference to me. If you are offseting Polgon ABCD to abcd , by vitue of the shortening of lines AB to ab and CD to cd the gradient cannot be the same. If I undrstand correvtly

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
antoniovinci
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@ Joe

You'd better change your keyboard, man...

@ Iraklis

A rectangle is NEVER a 3D polyline, but only a normal 2Dpoly with elevation: please attach a screenshot about your goal, thanx.

Message 4 of 9
wfberry

The easy way:

Change your 3D poly to a Feature Line.  You can maintain the slope OK, but obviously your corner points will have to be set to different elevations.  Use the feature line editor.

If you HAVE to have a 3D polyline, explode the Feature Line when you have what you want.

Bill

Message 5 of 9
Joe-Bouza

The collinear request  make things mathematically, troubling

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: antoniovinci

typing in the dark is'nt a good excuse either Smiley Happy

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

OK let me put it another way.

I have a 3D polyline that is of rectangular shape. See the attached DWG.

I use the Stepped Offset tool provided in the Feature Line Toolset (I use Civil 3D 2010).

I enter the offset value, I pick the object and the side to offset and then it asks for Slope, Grade etc.

What I want to achieve is that the new offset 3D polyline is a 3D extension of the original one, meaning that when I look at them from a side view (Front or Back in Civil 3D) they appear to be colinear and not at diferrent elevations as they appear in the following image.

pic1.jpg

I want them to appear as one like below

pic2.png

Please keep in mind that I have around 2000 objects that I want to perform this action.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 9
Jeff_M

Using the option Elevation Difference with a value of 0 doesn't do what you wish?  No, I see now, after testing it, that it doesn't.....

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 9 of 9
Joe-Bouza

@Anonymous wrote:

OK let me put it another way.

I have a 3D polyline that is of rectangular shape. See the attached DWG.

I use the Stepped Offset tool provided in the Feature Line Toolset (I use Civil 3D 2010).

I enter the offset value, I pick the object and the side to offset and then it asks for Slope, Grade etc.

What I want to achieve is that the new offset 3D polyline is a 3D extension of the original one, meaning that when I look at them from a side view (Front or Back in Civil 3D) they appear to be colinear and not at diferrent elevations as they appear in the following image.

pic1.jpg

I want them to appear as one like below

pic2.png

Please keep in mind that I have around 2000 objects that I want to perform this action.

Thanks again.

To paraphrase Stan Lee: Nuff said

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report