Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stepped Grading

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
nisreenKY4TZ
541 Views, 8 Replies

Stepped Grading

Hello, i have a large amount of houses that i want to create a test fit for, each house on different plot with different contour and slopes. How can i create a Stepped grading ( i dont want a sloped grading ) in the fastest way using civil 3D?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Neilw_05
in reply to: nisreenKY4TZ

Are you looking for a dynamic solution? If so you will need some parameters to define how the pads are related to the roads. Otherwise there are multiple options. 

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 9
nisreenKY4TZ
in reply to: Neilw_05

I want a fast automated solution. I do not know how to work on civil 3d but i read it has some powerful automated solution for grading, but I couldn’t find a solution to make stepped grading. 
i used to make the test fits on Revit but manual work is taking too long because we have hundreds of homes to test fit in a very short period of time. 
I have the AEC collection, what do you recommend? 
the purpose of the test fits we do is to validate how the building will look on a specific land, draw boundary wall and riprap wall after each step, and get an estimate of the quantities of fill, and the walls we drew in addition to the SOG.

is there a specific workflow that you recommend?  

Message 4 of 9
neilyj666

Without seeing what you are starting with it's difficult to comment in detail - I suspect that there is no OOTB automated solution for you though.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 9
Joe-Bouza

For me the fastest solution is to assume a daylight boundary with an alignment/ surface profile>> infill, add pad feature lines, goto volume dash board examine>>>  ... assuming a volume adjustment for foundations (optional) run the cut fill balance in the grading tool bar

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
neilyj666

The Grading Optimiser in 2022 may be of use - I've never used it so not sure of the full capabilities.

Ultimately I think this will be a somewhat iterative process for you

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 9
Joe-Bouza

G.O. more apps to learn 😮 and I'm no Luddite

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
Neilw_05

Grading Optimizer might be the closest you will get to an automatic solution. As for a dynamic solution, you can start out with a model that has the lot pads tied to the roads, so if the roads change, the pads change accordingly. Then you check your earthwork and by adjusting the road profiles you can balance the site.  That is the overall approach. How to do that requires a lot more explanation of course. There are lots of videos out there for how to do that. I can't recommend any one in particular. At least that should get you looking in the right direction. 

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 9 of 9

A couple of solutions I often use are the OFFSETFEATURE command with a small offset and/or using wall-type breaklines for building surfaces.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report