Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specific problem with the maptrim command. Cant select automatically when I trim outside the boundary

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
5umvap22_lindbj
607 Views, 12 Replies

Specific problem with the maptrim command. Cant select automatically when I trim outside the boundary

Hi everybody, 

So Im having problems with the maptrim command using CAD civil 3D. Everything work as expected if I trim inside the boundary using the select automatically option but when I select trim outside the boundary with select automatically it delets nothing. However when I select trim outside boundary and select the whole area by selecting manually it works as intended. It appears as I cant combine select automatically and to trim outside the boundary.  Anyone who knows how to solve this problem? I appreciate all the help I can get 🙂 

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

What version of Civil 3D?

As a workaround you can try EXTRIM.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 13

Hi @5umvap22_lindbj 

You are running Civil3D and you are using MAPTRIM command from the Map3D toolset, correct?

First, draw your Boundary by drawing a 'closed polyline.'

<<It's a lot easier to define your boundary using a polyline that you draw beforehand.>>

101.png

If want to use the Select Automatically option to trim your objects, make sure your Trim Method is set to TRIM OUTSIDE BOUNDARY as shown above.

Here's a old post (dated 2017) from Jerry Bartels (Civil Immersion blog) regarding >>MAPTRIM<<.

Chicagolooper
Message 4 of 13

Im running the 2023 version. Thx but when using extrim doesnt delete everything outside the boundary for me. It only removes the lines that is touching the boundary. 

Message 5 of 13

Thank you for your response. 

That is correct. This is the selection Im making 

5umvap22_lindbj_0-1709623132993.png

I select me drawn rectangle as boundary. The lines are polylines. It delets nothing outside the boundary. But everthing works when choosing trim inside boundary or when I manually select everything on screen. I really have no Idea how to fix it. Of course I could just manually select everything every time but I would like to find a way for the command to work and understand what has gone wrong. 

Message 6 of 13

I would like to add that Im sure the rectangle is closed aswell: 

5umvap22_lindbj_0-1709623740130.png

Message 7 of 13

Object that cannot be trimmed

Check "delete" instead of "ignore".

Gruß Udo Hübner (CAD-Huebner)
Message 8 of 13

Still the same results. Thx for the suggestion. 

Message 9 of 13

It works as expected for me in 2024. Can you post your drawing with the boundary rectangle or a portion of the drawing?

Do you get this message after hitting OK in the Maptrim Dialog box?

AllenJessup_0-1709642279437.png

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 13

@5umvap22_lindbj 

From Autodesk….

Do NOT use select automatically. You should lock the layers hosting objects on your layout tab.  

IMG_1980.jpeg

You can read about it >>HERE<<.

Chicagolooper
Message 11 of 13

Sure I have added the dwg of just a random drawing with the same problem. Does not work for me. 
Yes I get that message. Thx for trying to help. 

Message 12 of 13

That could be a problem but the command does not work at all for me so it does not delete anything, nothing in layout gets deleted even if I dont lock layers used in the layout. 

Message 13 of 13

OK, multiple TRIM actions for the same object, this does not work as expected with MAPTRIM.
I would suggest to run MAPCLEAN first and break objects that cross the rectangle.

Gruß Udo Hübner (CAD-Huebner)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report