Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoothing added elevation points with kriging issue

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
michaelKYSFP
519 Views, 7 Replies

Smoothing added elevation points with kriging issue

Greetings,

I've been using the linear kriging for smoothing a large surface area (about 1000 acres) containing about 4000 elevation points. Recently, I added some more points (about 2000) to a new area (about 500 acres), which borders the above mentioned, and tried to smoothen it in the same way. This has distorted the first surface completely (see pic1 before and pic2 after). I also attach the xml file of the entire surface after the distortion. I would highly appreciate any advice on solving this issue. Besides, I'm a new Civil user and this is my first time here, so I hope I my message is clear enough.

Thanks

Labels (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
lim.wendy
in reply to: michaelKYSFP

Hi @michaelKYSFP,

Welcome and thank you for reaching out to the forum! 

• Do you have the xml before adding the new points? Please share them.
  • Provide us the new points which you added to the existing surface

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Message 3 of 8
michaelKYSFP
in reply to: lim.wendy

Hi @lim.wendy ,

Thanks for the reply. I reattach the surface with the point files composing it. The modification date of these files is correlated with the surface creation and modifications. The last point file added is the one which created all the mess..

Message 4 of 8
Pointdump

Michael,
2 of your point files have a 0 elevation. Check for other outliers. That might fix things.
Also, try creating 3 separate surfaces and then pasting them together.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 8
lim.wendy

Hi @michaelKYSFP,

Thanks for providing the files. As mentioned by @Pointdump, some of your points are at 0 elevations and some are blanks. You can exclude them when building your surface.

surfaceExcludeElev.png

Create separate surfaces for each zone and then paste them together as mentioned by Dave.

CombineSurface.png

Here's the dwg. Replace the path for each of the point text location.

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Message 6 of 8
michaelKYSFP
in reply to: Pointdump

Thanks Dave, @lim.wendy 

I found just a few points with zero elevation or no elevation data at all, I've deleted them and repeated the process - still the surface got distorted after the smoothing operation.

The pasting surface worked fine. This is not an ideal solution however, since the combined surface negligees some extrapolations in between the surfaces which are important for me. Nonetheless, this is much better than before.

I'll keep on looking for some more outliers, like you suggested Dave. If you have any other ideas why this is happening, I would love to know about it. 

Thanks again

Message 7 of 8
Pointdump

Michael,
"...the surface got distorted after the smoothing operation."
I'm not a big fan of Surface Smoothing, so I don't know any ways to get what you want--prettier contours, right?
I pulled out bad lines of data in all 3 point files, and now your Surface looks OK to me. Check the attached and see if it'll suit.

345_1.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 8 of 8
michaelKYSFP
in reply to: Pointdump

Dear Dave,

Thanks a lot for the effort.

The smoothing operation is a common practice in the company I work in, your question made me realize I don't fully understand the need for it. I will look deeper into it and the files you edited and would write back if there will be any more issues.

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report