Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing foundation on surface model

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Srana123
425 Views, 4 Replies

Showing foundation on surface model

Hi I currently have an existing survey with building footprints shown. I need to make a plan where we demolish the buildings and leave a 10 foot deep hole (to represent the foundation of the building post demo). What would be the best way to do this? I drew a feature line around each building and got the elevation data from the existing data, but I'm not sure what to do next. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tcorey
in reply to: Srana123

Use stepped offset to make a copy of the feature line about 0.01 inside and 10.0 down. Add both the top and bottom feature lines as breaklines.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 5
chriscowgill7373

is the hole realistic or theoretical?  in other words do you need to account for the dirt falling in or can you just show vertical walls?  If the latter, offset your featureline to the inside 0.001 or so and then drop its elevation to the bottom of the hole.

Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.

AutoCAD Certified Professional
Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2022 on Windows 10

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 4 of 5
Srana123
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks for the solutions, the stepped offset is exactly what I needed

Another question I have, I want to keep this existing surface as it is before the demo and I want to make a new surface which has the existing surface post demo. How can I copy my existing surface into a new surface? I thought it was simply add the point group to the post demo surface but looking at the definition of the existing surface, there seems to be points and breaklines that were added 

Message 5 of 5
chriscowgill7373

The best way to do this in my opinion is to create a new surface, go Definition-> Edits Right click and select paste surface to paste the existing surface inside of it.  That way if the existing surface changes (get more topo, etc.) the other surface does the same.  Then you can paste your demo surface over that to get a finished overall surface.

Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.

AutoCAD Certified Professional
Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2022 on Windows 10

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report