Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I always be updating civil 3d to the most recent year?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
twbrown025
793 Views, 5 Replies

Should I always be updating civil 3d to the most recent year?

My company has a subscription for 3 years that allows us to access all updates and fixes of AutoCAD if we want them. We are currently operating on Civil 3d 2017 and are behind on many updates which I believe would be fixed by these updates.

Should we stick with 2017 and make the necessary service updates or should we always be upgrading the version as they are released?

In your experience are there any negatives to upgrading to Civil 3d 2019/2020? 

or are there too many bugs in the newer versions that make it not worthwhile to update. 

Any input is welcome.

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
neilyj666
in reply to: twbrown025

I update to the latest when the Country Kit has been released (but there are only 2 users in the company) as the previous bugs are usually fixed but new ones are inevitably introduced. Some people will wait until the first Service Pack/incremental update before making the leap to the new version.

I wouldn't recommend updating users piecemeal nor running several different versions for compatibility reasons.

Look at the difference in functionality between 2017 and 2020 and if any of the new stuff is going to help you then upgrade.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 6
twbrown025
in reply to: neilyj666

We have a fairly small company too so it may be easier to upgrade more consistently. I will look at the details of the different versions and see if what we need. 

Thank you for the reply.

Message 4 of 6
neilyj666

HTH - If this answer solved your problem please mark as solution
All likes gratefully received...:)

Neil

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 6
autoMick

I've tended to update my 2 machines every second year and I keep the old version on the computer until I'm happy the new version is performing well. Traditionally I've also waited until the 1st couple of updates and the country kit was available, but this year I've installed 2020 already (since the country kit was available). So far, so good.

There's no reason to regularly update unless you are after the newest features. Sometimes an update will result in a major loss of functionality - for instance, 2016 could handle LiDAR data and point clouds directly, whereas later versions  you need to go through more steps. Always do a bit of research to find out what's changed before you update. You will find that Autodesk will publicise what has been added, but not necessarily what's been taken away

Cheers

Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 6 of 6
jefflambert9091
in reply to: autoMick

I agree. We have over 40 users. We wait until the version is out, monitor the discussion groups (typically wait until after the first service pak) and review the pros and cons of the new features vs loss of some functionality. 

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report