Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Sets/Plan Production

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
pjohnson
926 Views, 8 Replies

Sheet Sets/Plan Production

I have always set up sheets for plotting manually in paperspace with viewports, etc. 

I am looking to set things up to be able to use the Plan Production tools to  do this.

Does anyone know of any videos or sites that go through the process of setting this up from start to finish? I am finding tutorials on different aspects of it but having a hard time finding anything that explains the whole process start to finish and what all you need? 

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rl_jackson
in reply to: pjohnson

For a good tutorial I would check out Autodesk University. You should be able to use your same login as here, and check out Sheets Happen!  There are others there as well.

I would also recommend using the default template files for Plan production just to see how the viewports are set up with respects to plan, plan and profile and sections.

HTH

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
pjohnson
in reply to: rl_jackson

Thanks. I've watched a couple of the videos and I have my templates pretty well set up, but I'm still a little confused on the best way to set up your sheets/sheet set?

I have multiple road alignments that will be reconstructed including utilities.  So each alignment will have removal sheets, proposed sheets, and utility sheets. 

My thinking is that you would want a separate DWG for removals, proposed, and utilities with the different road alignments being different layouts in the drawings.  That way each drawing would have the correct layers turned on or off. 

But going through the wizard I don't see where or how you add multiple alignment layouts to a drawing?  

Also how would the View Frame groups be set up? By alignment, by sheet type (removals, proposed, utility)? Going through that wizard it doesn't seem to allow you to add different alignment viewframes to an existing group?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Message 4 of 9
cwr-pae

I use dref and xref to put data in production drawings, keeping the design drawings separate. Unless they are very short I keep different alignments in separate production drawings. Only one alignment can be in a single frame view group. If I need multiple subsets on the same alignment (topo, demo, utility, grading, etc.) I dref the view frame group in to the appropriate separate drawings. When creating sheets from the a vfg you can choose to add the sheets to an existing sheet set, so I always create my sheet set first to use a sheet set template. If you plan to use the dynamic linked match lines, each sheet has to stay in the subset created for its vfg. When creating sheets I try ti keep the number of layouts below 12, if they will fit in one drawing I use the "in current drawing" option, otherwise I create new drawings from a drawing used as a sheet creation master that can be deleted once all sheets are created. I rename the subsets to identify them in the SSM after creation because I usually forget to rename the vfg before creating the sheets. Once the sheets are created the VFG only effects the matchlines.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

I'm not sure what you mean by getting alignments into a sheet set. Do you intend to have a plan set for each road (alignment)? I would create a sheet set for each set of plans.

You can add layout tabs from multiple drawings to one sheet set. Right click the SS name to see some options. Learn about the fields you can get from the sheet set - then pay attention to how you name things in C3D thereafter to save yourself some time.

Here we got a sheet set, with it's standard fields and custom properties as close as we can get it to cover all projects (or a category of project), then create a new sheet set for each project using the "template" sheet set as an example.

I love SSM. It makes publishing easy, and virtually our entire title block is populated with field data from the sheet set.

Message 6 of 9
pjohnson
in reply to: Anonymous

I intend to have one plan set with all the roads in it.  I guess the sheet set part isn't where I'm confused its the set up of the layouts and "production" drawings.

So I have my design drawing that has all the surfaces, alignments,  pipe networks, etc. in it (i.e. Removal Pipe networks, Proposed Pipe networks, Existing Surface, Proposed surfaces, etc).  

In this drawing I am creating the viewframes for my four different alignments and then going to the create sheets wizard.

In the sheets wizard, in the Layout Creation part, you choose either  'Number of layouts per drawing' or 'All layouts in one new drawing. (I don't want them in my current drawing which is the design drawing) 

My confusion is with this part and how to set this up when I have four alignments that will each need three different sheets(or layouts) with different layers turned on/off (Removals, Proposed, Uitlity)? 

Is it necessary to have a separate "production" drawing for each category for each alignment or could you organize them so all of "A" Street layouts are in one drawing or say all the Removal layouts are in one drawing?

"A" Street - Removals

"A" Street - Proposed

"A" Street - Utilities

"B" Street - Removals

"B" Street - Proposed

"B" Street - Utilities

"C" Street - Removals

"C" Street - Proposed

"C" Street - Utilities

"D" Street - Removals

"D" Street - Proposed

"D" Street - Utilities

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

If you have a different view frame group for each street/alignment you should just be able to specify the drawing designated for that street each time you create sheets (removals, proposed, utilities) since you create sheets one view frame group at a time.

Message 8 of 9
pjohnson
in reply to: Anonymous

So are you saying that you are able to assign sheets to an already existing drawing?  How/Where is that?

In the Create Sheets wizard I only see the options to create layouts in the current drawing or in a new drawing, no options to select an existing drawing?

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Oops. I was probably wrong about that. You could send them to new dwg's and combine them by street - insert block, or import the layout tabs you want.

OR ... leave them in individual dwg's (demo/new/util) and use SSM to import the layout tabs as sheets.

I'm not entirely sure what goes into a newly created drawing. I know it wants to know which data references to bring along, not sure about the graphics - i.e. xrefs or what. I usually keep everything in the same dwg I am creating sheets from.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report