Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sanitary Sewer Service Label

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jmoney
1098 Views, 8 Replies

Sanitary Sewer Service Label

I would like to create a label to annotate sewer services in Plan View.  I have not been able to find a label that will annotate a pipe invert at a selected station (only at the start or end of a pipe run). 

Idea for label is to use an expression to take a pipe invert at a given station, add vertical offset (say 1.0 feet), then 0.02 times the horizontal offset to get to the sewer service elevation.

Any suggestions or examples greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim- Meridian, Idaho  C3D2018.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jmoney

You can check the app store.

What I do is have a layout profile for the sewer invert then I can place a cogo point at any station along the pipe and get an invert label

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
wpagl452

Hi @jmoney, thanks for your forum post! I can understand not wanting to put laterals into a pipe network to save time.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to do this outside of customization. If anyone knows of a way using expressions, I'd be interested in seeing it. In that scenario, I'd think that the alignment would need to line up with the centerline of the pipe.

@Joe-Bouza's workflow sounds reasonable.

All the best,
Winston
Message 4 of 9
wfberry
in reply to: wpagl452

Winston:

I posted to this once but it is not showing on my computer.

Not only is Joe's method reasonable but it is the only way that I have done this for years.  It just makes everything easier using a final grade line in the profile to represent the invert of pipes.  Instantly we have grades and distances (slope) and when the Pipes decide to go AWOL, just snap them back into place on the FG line.

Bill

Message 5 of 9
jmoney
in reply to: wfberry

Thanks Winston and Joe.  I'm not following on the procedure your suggesting.  Can you please elaborate on how the label works to pick the elevation from the profile layout line?  Also do you use an expression to calculate the elevation of the sewer service based on the profile layout line plus the offset to the end of the service

Thanks in advance!

Message 6 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: wfberry

I confess Bill, I be been using ever since you first posted it

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
Neilw_05

Since the pipe is a 3D object you should be able to snap a featureline to it, slope it and label it. You can then copy it up or downstream as needed, snapping the end to the pipe.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 9
jmoney
in reply to: Neilw_05

Thanks! I'll give that a try tomorrow.

-Jim 🙂
Message 9 of 9
wpagl452

I think you've got a couple options here.

As mentioned, you can create a feature line, snap it to the pipes and create points along that feature line. FYI, you could also have created your pipes from a feature line and you can choose to use the feature line as invert, centerline, or crown.

You can also create a layout profile along pipe inverts, and create points along your alignment (C3D will ask for the profile to pull elevations from). 

From there you can create an expression to add 1 ft (or whatever you want) to the point elevation. I don't think you'll be able to add .02*offset since you can't reference the offset in the expression editor for points, but I could be wrong.

All the best,
Winston

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report