Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAC Benching Subassembly

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
kubastan89
953 Views, 15 Replies

SAC Benching Subassembly

Hi,

I need to create Benching Subassembly according to the drawing as below (SAC Benching.dwg):

SAC Benching.PNG

I need to create Subbasembly that consist of Magenta, Blue and Cyan links.

I think in order to create steps I need to use Loop Geometry but I am not able to give Loop Repetitions so I believe I have to use some Expression in Loop Repetition but I don`t know how to create it. I started creating subassembly where I added few point but I stopped at Loop Geometry. (SAC Benching.rar)

I placed some ideas on the graphic and attached drawing regarding the rest of the links. 

I`d be obliged for any suggestions and help for creating this subassembly.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
jae.kwon
in reply to: kubastan89

You will need many many many duplicates of a decision and draw action.

1. P2 slope to surface at 0 slope
  2. P3 X/Y offset (to target end point)
  3. AP1 down the vertical bench distance.
  4. Decision: Is AP1 below the target P3 in elevation (AP1.Y<P3.Y)? 
  5. If no, then draw P4 at AP1 location. Do another iteration of steps 2-4 (the decision - will have to be duplicated. there is no true loop decision in SAC), as well as another iteration of steps 5-6 (the action - again, will have to be duplicated)
  6. If yes, then draw P5 at elevation of AP1. Then draw a link between P5 and P3.

Let me know if this gives you enough to go on. If not, let me know and I'll guide you further.

Just going off the top of my head so I might have mixed up some stuff. But I think you'll get the idea. You'll have a big chain of steps 2-6, as many as you loops as you think you might need.

One thing that will help you is that you can CTRL+select all the nodes you need to duplicate and then copy paste.

Message 3 of 16
kubastan89
in reply to: jae.kwon

Hi @jae.kwon 

Thanks for your suggestions. Actually, P15 will be already below P3 elevation and I have to go still down from P15. How to create P16 ?

SAC Benching2.PNG

Message 4 of 16
jae.kwon

Oops, forgot about that last slope cut. Draw P16 right after drawing P3 then use P16.Y as the test elevation. Modification to logic shown in red below:

1. P2 slope to surface at 0 slope
  2. P3 X/Y offset (to target end point)
  3. P16 slope and delta Y from P3 (reverse slope direction)
  4. AP1 down the vertical bench distance.
  5. Decision: Is AP1 below the target P16 in elevation (AP1.Y<P16.Y)? 
  6. If no, then draw P4 at AP1 location. Do another iteration of steps 2-4 (the decision - will have to be duplicated. there is no true loop decision in SAC), as well as another iteration of steps 5-6 (the action - again, will have to be duplicated)
  7. If yes, then draw P5 at elevation of AP1. Then draw a link between P5 and P16
Message 5 of 16
kubastan89

HI @jae.kwon 

I created Subassembly based on your suggestions. It worked almost alright but I reconnected P4 point and it stopped working ;/ I hope I won`t have to recreate the subassembly.

Please have a look at attached test file and pkt file (C3D 2020).

Regards.

SAC Benching3.PNG

Message 6 of 16
jae.kwon

In P4, try changing the slope from 100% to -100%.

I think P4 was failing to draw because FromEndPointDepth was telling it draw below P3 but the slope given in P3 was was telling it to draw above.

Message 7 of 16
kubastan89

Hi @jae.kwon 

It worked. Thanks.

I had to modify True side below AP6 because this blue line has to be with slope 0%. 

SAC Benching4.PNG

I modified it like that:

SAC Benching3a.PNG

Could you have a look at this ?

I attached modified pkt.

Message 8 of 16
jae.kwon

Rather than doing an intersection... may I suggest the following for the true side:

P27 from P19, X = P19.X, Y = P4.Y

Then draw your links.

See attached.

Message 9 of 16
kubastan89

Hi @jae.kwon 

With your code section view looks like below. Subassembly should create these two cyan lines.

SAC Benching5.PNG

Message 10 of 16
jae.kwon

Shoot. I must have forgotten to update the "From" point.

Try changing the "From Point" of P27 to P1. The point should land at the X of P19 and Y of P4 from the point at origin (P1).

Message 11 of 16
kubastan89

Hi @jae.kwon 

There is still something we are missing.

Subassembly works with -0.3 to -0.4 FromEndPointDepth value but when I change it to -0.5 bottom link is not created ;/

-0.5 value

SAC Benching7A.PNG

-1.0 value

SAC Benching7B.PNG

Please find pkt file in the attachment.

Message 12 of 16
jae.kwon

Ok... so right now once there is no surface to hit the flowchart just kinda ends. (P22 doesn't draw so nothing happens after that).

There is a simple (but tedious) solution: right after you try to draw P22, you can add another decision that tests if P22.IsValid. If it's valid, then continue on to AP7 as before. If not, then you will want to add an intersection point from P20, hitting the link between P3 and P4 (L25?) at StepSlope grade. Then add a couple of links to connect from P20 to the new point (let's call it P28), and then connect P28 to P3.

See attached  PKT for what I mean...

Once you test this and it works you will want to copy this new decision and branch to all the other iterations.

This unfortunately ends up having P4 and L25 draw although you're only using it to find the intersect. If this bothers you and you want to clean things up you may have to change P4/L25 to auxiliaries or control what's drawn or not with point/link codes. Either way there's probably a bunch of tedious house cleaning to do.

Message 13 of 16
kubastan89

Hi @jae.kwon 

Thank for your reply. Can you attach pkt file you mentioned about ?

Message 14 of 16
jae.kwon

Yup, sorry I forgot the attachment

Message 15 of 16
kubastan89

Hi @jae.kwon 

Your idea of testing if P22 is valid was great. I had to only modified False side a bit because I don`t know why but your False side didn`t work. Thank you very much for your time and help. I really appreciate it.

Message 16 of 16
jae.kwon

Glad things worked out!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report