Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate point according to Direction data in a SHP-file.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
417 Views, 7 Replies

Rotate point according to Direction data in a SHP-file.

Hi!

I´ve been struggling for a while now with using data from ArcMAP in Civil 3D 2017..

It comes down to this;

I havea set of geotagged pictures that are tagged with Directional data (the direction in which i was facing when i took the picture)

I´ve managed to import them and setting the rotation of the symbols correctly in ArcMap. The symbol points in the direction i was faceing when i snapped the picture.

My problem now is; How do i "transfer" this to Civil 3D?

The "endstate" shoud be a line or arrow or some other directional indicator that uses the information in the imported SHP-file to automatically rotate the symbol (line, arrow etc) in the direction stated by the SHP-file directional data.

Is this possible?

And if so, how?

Cheers! 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: Anonymous

I have a blog written about this. See link below...

https://civil3dj.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/using-images-from-your-iphone-that-are-geo-referenced/

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Very interesting!

Would it be possible to accomplish this without using Global Mapper?

@ToddRogers-WPM wrote:

I have a blog written about this. See link below...

https://civil3dj.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/using-images-from-your-iphone-that-are-geo-referenced/

Message 4 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM

Probably so. I didn't have ArcGIS when I did this, so I used Global Mapper.

Todd Rogers
Message 5 of 8
TerryDotson

... possible to accomplish this without using Global Mapper?

DotSoft's GeoLocationPlus is a much less expensive inside CAD option for this process using the coordinate system already assigned to the drawing by Civil3D.  Places symbol blocks directly in the drawing from the JPG files, pointing in the right direction.  A companion link browse tool lets you move the crosshair over the symbol block to preview the hyperlinked image.

Placement Demo

Link Browse Demo

Message 6 of 8
autoMick

I'm pretty sure I did this a while back just using the survey database. 

Can't remember the exact details, but essentially:

- EXIF data extraction from photos (using a free download utility, which could do a whole folder of photos at a time)

- Reorganise data in excel

- Import data to survey database (somewhere there was a field that you could control point rotation based on a data column)

- assign a suitable block as your point symbol

So the attached has the output. In my case we were taking photos every 100m, for about 80km of river bank, so it was well worth automating. I just set my GPS to give an alarm every 100m, then I took a pair of photos while the boat was moving. The block in the drawing had the exact viewing angle of my iphone and the point number is the photo number.

I worked very well.

I'm sorry I'm vague on the details - just can't remember, but hopefully this will be enough of a clue to move on. Otherwise, I'll look on my computer at work and see if I can find the settings and software mentioned tomorrow.

Regards

Mick

Capture.PNG

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 7 of 8
autoMick

Well I looked, but I have a new install of Civil3d since I'd done it, so I think the codesets or whatever I was using were lost, but I did find this which shows the data format which was imported to a survey database. Then obviously the points were processed on the OR code for orientation

Cheers

Mick

Import event.PNG

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: autoMick

(Been away for a while, hence the lack of response)

That is kind of the endstate i strive to achieve 😄 These clues looks very useful!

It sort of works for me now, just need to make som final adjustments in Civil 3D 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report