Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore .mms file.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
AllenJessup
1505 Views, 7 Replies

Restore .mms file.

I'm working with a couple of very large surfaces. They're being stored in external files. Over 1 GB each. This and other factors leads to the drawing being thrashed on a regular basis. After one fatal error I reopened the drawing and it gave an error message that it couldn't find one of the external .mms surface files. The instructions were that if I could find the file, close the drawing, restore the file and reopen the drawing.

I found a backup of the file in the temp folder and copied it to the drawing folder and renamed it to the original name. Now when I open the drawing the surface isn't listed.

Is there any way to restore that surface from the .mms file?

Allen

Allen Jessup, Rockland County Highway Department
Windows XP Pro, SP3
Dell Precision T7400, Xenon X5460, 3.2 GHz, 4 (3.25) GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600, 768MB, driver Ver 6.14.0011. 9178
Powerdraft OpenGL drivers Ver 17.2.2
C3D-SP2.1 (Version 3.1), LDTC & RD 2009

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
alansanudo
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hey @AllenJessup hello, I was wondering if you found a solution for this, thank you.

windows 7, intel I7, 8 MB RAM, civil3d 2013.
Message 3 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: alansanudo

No. I ended up recreating the Surface. It only happen that once as far as I can remember.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
alansanudo

@AllenJessup Its wierd because In my file, surface profiles appear but the surface itself wont, and when I save the drawing it deletes the .mms file

giving me the following message:

Surface " " will now fit in this drawing

The surface data has been moved from the external file F:\ ...

Do you have any clue on what to do here?

Thanks Allen, I appreciate it.

windows 7, intel I7, 8 MB RAM, civil3d 2013.
Message 5 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: alansanudo

alansanudo wrote:

Do you have any clue on what to do here? 

@alansanudo, Unfortunately no. This happened 6 years ago and I haven't been working with Surfaces that big since then.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
ricaerredo

Hello, there!

Any new thoughts about this? This has just happened to me and even after recreating the reference in Data Shortcut, deleting the old Surface Profiles and recreating them again in each alignment, I would like to know why this happens sometimes.

Message 7 of 8
rl_jackson

I'll provide my 2 cents... Reduce the cloud dataset, while we can capture data at the centimeter level does this mean we actually need all of it? I've been in the land survey/development scope for 30 years. And I see great things with the tech that is happening right now, the only problem is that the dataset is not something that is workable, I could go do a topo on a 25' grid (done that on airport runways, fun stuff right), and provide more efficient data than a drone. Added ten computers and additional time, same thing! I'm wondering where the effectiveness is (Knees on concrete is a killer). What purpose does all this data serve, if you really don't need but 10% of it to get the job done...  Honestly, I'm with Tech completely, I just don't see the significates of it in the long run having done both design (storm/drainage) and surveying. Q=CIA and I'm not going to the moon (or Mars) on Jeff or Elon's ship, I'm grounded in simple principles. ADD the complexity of data, and now I've got to remove 90% so that the engineer has a workable file with 10%.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: rl_jackson

@rl_jackson 

Something I'm dealing with at the moment. There's a question if we should use older 2 meter Lidar or wait for new 0.7 meter.  I  remember the tightest grid I ever shot with an instrument was 20 feet. The only makes sense to wait is because it will be used to model the whole County including building and a consultant is doing the processing. 

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report