Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing an Existing Ground Surface

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jdumond
183 Views, 6 Replies

Replacing an Existing Ground Surface

I have an EG surface that was made from a poorly filtered LIDAR point cloud.  We have designed gradings using both feature lines and grading creation tools targeting this surface which is in the design drawing as a data shortcut.

I now have a much better existing ground model that was made from DEM files.  I want to replace the bad EG surface with the good one and have our future gradings target the new one.  Can I re-map the data shortcut to the new EG model or will I need to remake the design on the good EG model?

Thanks in advance

James DuMond

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TPMGYSZS
in reply to: jdumond

If you delete the surface in the referenced drawing and name the new surface the exact same name, it should work. 

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
Message 3 of 7
RobertEVs

Open the Data Shortcut manager. Select the surface (FG Composite) in your current open drawing. Select the desired surface (FG AUX) and click to link selected object to selected shortcut

RobertEVs_1-1725642606305.png

Message 4 of 7
jdumond
in reply to: TPMGYSZS

I tried that and it made the drawing crash 😞

Message 5 of 7
jdumond
in reply to: RobertEVs

Thanks Robert

Are you suggesting re-mapping the EG data short cut to the new drawing that has the good ground surface?

Message 6 of 7
RobertEVs

Re-link or Link the bad (old) EG in your current drawing with any (new) EG surface you want using the Manage Data Shortcuts under the Manage tab. Once linked re-name it in your current drawing if you so desire. I use this when someone promotes an alignment in a drawing then I want to take it back to the original DS alignment. It re-links and remove editing capabilities of any promoted alignment or other smart objects

Message 7 of 7
jdumond
in reply to: RobertEVs

Thank you Robert.  I was having problems with my design drawing crashing, so I deleted all the grading groups and profiles that referenced the bad surface.  After I did that, the ground model updated like a charm.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report