Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename Pipes to show Structure Numbers??

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
1444 Views, 19 Replies

Rename Pipes to show Structure Numbers??

Is there any way to rename Civil 3D pipes to include the structure numbers and possibly the description?  For example, the downstream structure has a name of "3" and description of "CI".  Upstream structure is "4" and "AI".  I would like the pipe in between them to be named "CI3-AI4".  Is there any way possible to do this besides manually entering the name one pipe at a time?  The pipe rename command only seems to have number sequencing options. 

Civil 3D 2017

Thanks in advance,

Ben

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
drazen.galic
in reply to: Anonymous

Believe that out of the box, there is no possibility to do what you asked. Only 3d party solutions.

Message 3 of 20
cwr-pae

I haven't tried this, but I know this type of thing works for other labels styles.

The pipe table style has a component content for the start and end structures, try coping from the table style and pasting to a pipe label style.

Message 4 of 20
drazen.galic
in reply to: cwr-pae

If it is possible (don't know, didn't try) it will create label, but will not change name of the pipe

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: drazen.galic

Thanks, I have created Label Styles for what I need just couldn't find anything for the pipe names.  It's slow monotonous work but I guess someone has to do it... LOL.  

Message 6 of 20
Jeff_M

We just recently added the tool SPPIPESRENAMER to the Sincpac-C3D add on package. It's so new that there is not yet a help file for it, but it's pretty self explanatory. 

8-13-2017 9-50-04 AM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 20
cwr-pae

True, it wont rename the pipe, but in tables, labels, etc. it will allow you to show the structure names as if they where the pipe name depending on how you set up the style.

Message 8 of 20
evanQ4FNZ
in reply to: Jeff_M

The importance of the  SPPIPESRENAMER command cannot be understated!  Why it is not part of the default C3D pipe network boggles my mind.  This saves me hours of mundane work on every project.  Sincpac to the rescue yet again!

Message 9 of 20
KirkWM

Hi there, you can easily do this with Dynamo for Civil 3D using the Civil 3D toolkit. Come over to the Dynamo forum if you have questions, https://forum.dynamobim.com/c/civil3d/17

Rename Pipes with Structure Name and Desc v1.gif

Pipe-Set Name to Structure Names and Desc v1_2021-05-11_02-28-40.png

Message 10 of 20
Joe-Bouza

I see it availablestart end in pipe.png in 2018

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: KirkWM

Diving into this Dynamo thing LOL.  I am trying to figure out the passthrough node and I cannot find it like in your screenshot.  Is there a certain place to look for this?  Another add-on perhaps?  Thanks in advance.  

Message 12 of 20
KirkWM

Glad to hear 👍 the "passthrough" is just a plain code block that I renamed. I use them for organizing the wires so they don't overlap too much with other nodes.

Message 13 of 20
Joe-Bouza

Hi Jeff

Hope all is well. good here.

Am I reading things wrong my 2018 shows start and end structure available in a pipe label

Thanks

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Hi Joe, 

The original question was trying to figure out a way to rename the pipe itself using the structures to name it.  The pipe label was not ever the issue.  Dynamo worked out to be the solution I was looking for.  

Message 15 of 20
Joe-Bouza

Hi Ben

thanks for clarifying.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 16 of 20
btillett
in reply to: KirkWM

Good afternoon,

I am trying to do exactly what the shown dynamo script will do. I have the Civil 3D tool kit and I am having some trouble duplicating it from the image. I tried finding it on the Dynamo Forum area, but was unsuccessful. Can you point me to the correct post on the Dynamo Forum? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Boris
Message 17 of 20
Jeff_M
in reply to: btillett

@btillett I was able to do this. This is in C3D 2022 with the Civil3dToolKit.

Dynamo pipe rename.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 18 of 20
KirkWM
in reply to: btillett

See attached. If you need further assistance please post to the Dynamo forum 🙂

Message 19 of 20
KirkWM

Well done Jeff 👏

Message 20 of 20
btillett

Thank you. The response got stuck in our company spam, and I had figured it out by the time I got it... Looks to be the same as what you did... the response is much appreciated.

Boris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report