Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Bake" wms map into drawing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
717 Views, 4 Replies

"Bake" wms map into drawing

Hi!

It there any option to "bake" into a drawing. I use wms servers in my CIVIL 3D for underlaying orthophoto to my drawings, but sometimes my collegues need to open it in plain cad or cad viewer. And of course they do not see map under my drawing. So I am thinking is there any way to bake in a part of the map so it stays an png xref for example so it would be visible to others without MAP 3D or CIVIL 3D.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tcorey
in reply to: Anonymous

Using a software that can write the format you desire, export the image. Use AutoCAD ATTACH command to attach the file to the drawing. Manually rotate, scale and move the image so that it matches your drawing. If you have Autodesk Raster Design or AEC Collection (includes Raster Design), then you will import the image, geo-reference it,  and save the drawing. A user of non-vertical AutoCAD, can open the drawing and the image will be in the right place.

Do yourself and your client a favor. Be sure the .dwg and .tif files extract to the same folder. This will save you needing to troubleshoot for your client.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 5
BrianHailey
in reply to: Anonymous

I've not tried it with a wms but perhaps you could use the "Save as AutoCAD Drawing..." option in the Maps button on the Display Manager of the Task Pane: 

BrianHailey_0-1622729654100.png

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: BrianHailey

I have tried this. Unfortunatelly it is not a solution. It will save the zoomout version of a wms layer. So the site is just 1 or 2 pixels of a blurry image..

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: tcorey

Well. I have used this for years in vanilla CAD. But since I've started using CIVIL 3D and discovered WMS I have stopped using this method. It is very work inducing, for my projects it is often required to use multiple cutouts of orthophoto exported from a web application, that gives access to it. So the time I need to add one orthophoto underlay xref is x100 more, than just adding saved WMS layer. I guess I am stuck with PDF export..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report