Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quantity takeoff material calculations using surfaces with holes?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Coffee_Aided_Design
242 Views, 4 Replies

Quantity takeoff material calculations using surfaces with holes?

Hello all,

I am wondering how to tackle Civil 3D material calculations with surfaces that contain breaks in their sections. I have a simple two-surface cut criteria. I would like to ignore any area where both surfaces are not present but Civil 3D seems to want to connect these areas together.

See image for clarification, the yellow arrow is pointing to the area I would like to ignore in my calculations.

Thanks 🙂

Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

You can add a hide boundary to the surface.

Jeewana Meegahage
Design Engineer
Autodesk Civil 3D Tutorials
Facebook | YouTube | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 5

So I tried the hide boundary and couldn't get it to solve the problem. I did some other testing as well, to no avail.

In order to "sanitize" everything I exploded my production surfaces and created them in a new blank Autodesk default template using triangular faces and an outside border; the originals were created using corridor and grading surfaces. I am still having the same issue after all that. Additionally, I decided to create a test surface by hand that was a similar configuration and these behaved correctly.

Any idea why these behave differently. My test DWG file is attached.

Thanks! 

Production material not working as expected.Production material not working as expected.Test surface and material working as expected.Test surface and material working as expected.

Message 4 of 5

Update: I tried moving the section lines around a little bit because I remembered, in some other threads, that this could be a work-around for weird section problems. Bumping the sections a little did nothing but moving it down to station 1+55 rendered correctly. 

Not sure why station 1+55 works but not 1+58, I can't see any distinguishing features in the surface that would cause a problem.

Message 5 of 5

I have an update. I am told by Autodesk support that this is a known issue that will hopefully get fixed in the future. Fingers crossed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report