Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project horizontal intersecting objects onto profile views

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1293 Views, 3 Replies

Project horizontal intersecting objects onto profile views

I understand that horizontal geometry belonging to an alignment can be 'projected' or drawn on a profile view. My question is, can other objects, such that intersect the alignment for example, be projected onto the profile view?

This would be of a lot of help when trying to illustrate what roads my rail alignment intersects for example, and also, would allow the vertical alignment of my track to be designed more efficiently, as I could map station (train station) locations directly from the horizontal alignment, onto the vertical profile. The gradient at stations should ideally be 0% (or 1:500 for track drainage purposes), so it would help to know where those locations are precisely in the profile view (I know where they are in the horizontal alignment already)... as these locations will effectively act as the boundary conditions around which the rest of my vertical alignment will need to be designed.

Furthermore, is it possible to represent this sort of information (objects or lines intersecting my horizontal alignment) automatically in a band, beneath the profile view? Or is this getting a little too advanced? I'm a beginner after all. I don't want to get too absorbed into such details considering I've got deadlines to keep to. I could do it manually I suppose. It might just take considerable time considering I'd have to scale the distances in order to plot these details accurately on the profile view.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jmartt
in reply to: Anonymous

You can put points on the road crossings and project the points to your profile view.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-forum/adding-crossing-objects-to-a-profile/td-p/5529...

I don't know of a way to label the projections in a band, but you can make an automatic label to go along with your marker point for the projected point in your profile view.

Message 3 of 4
Joe-Bouza

I like using pipe Network for lots of things that are not pipes Cross streets. I created a pipe style and lane style for s profile views. I draw a pipe across all my cross street gives the pipe name the street name ant they pop into profile view as a dimsion line with the street name/ object of interest on the view

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
Jowennl

Hi John,

I believe what you are looking for is to project object to profile view and it’s been in Civil 3d since 2010 version.

1-Ribbon.png

You can project the following:

AutoCAD points, blocks, 3D solids, 3D polylines, AutoCAD Civil 3D COGO points, feature lines, and survey figures

You just need to be aware on projection style and projection labels style. (You can play around with this in the settings)

General > Multipurpose Styles > Projection StylesGeneral > Multipurpose Styles > Projection StylesProfile View > Label Styles > ProjectionProfile View > Label Styles > Projection

The most common I use is solid projection and I make sure I got the following below:

Tick SectionTick SectionUn-tick SectionUn-tick Section 

Please see this <you tube link> for guidance.

Please see this <Autodesk knowledge Link> for further information.

Cheers,

Jowenn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report