Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project drawing and Bing aerial photo, do not match

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
bcolonXQE5F
500 Views, 9 Replies

Project drawing and Bing aerial photo, do not match

Hello, here again!

Last time, with your help, I was able to georeference my project, but now I have problems getting the photo that C3D loads to match the border lines of my drawing. Please, can you help me again?
I attach two photos, pic#1, show the displacement that my drawing has with respect to the Bing aerial photo and the coordinate system that I have loaded in C3D. Pic#2 shows the table where I got the coordinate system I'm using, the PR83-NAD83-32161-meters.
Thank you very much!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Pointdump
in reply to: bcolonXQE5F

Hi Benjamin,
Hard to tell how much shift from your screen shot. Can you post your drawing?
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 10
bcolonXQE5F
in reply to: Pointdump

Sure Dave, here it is.

Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 10
Pointdump

Benjamin,
Thanks for posting your drawing.
I tested a few different Coordinate Systems in MAPCSLIBRARY to see if it was a Datum Shift, but all were very close to each other. Then I grabbed a shapefile of Puerto Rico roads (attached) and noticed that they are all shifted to the west about the same amount.
I've seen Bing Live Maps off this much before. I think the only thing you can do is >>>Move BING Imagery<<<.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 5 of 10
bcolonXQE5F
in reply to: Pointdump

Wow Dave, thank you so much for all the effort you make to helping me. I really appreciate it. And yes, I will have to move the Bing photo, to match my drawing, because I checked the coordinates of the surveyor's table against the coordinates of the control stations in the drawing and they match. Therefore, I understand that the drawing is correct, in terms of location. But, I have another question, if I move the aerial photo from Bing, I lose the ability to use the power of C3D, combined with Bing and Google Earth, to get surface data as presented by Jeff Bartels, in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TzzRsX-4BA? Is it possible that I can import this surface data to triangulate in C3D, with some other software? oh! and thanks also for the video you sent me, which explains how to move the Bing imaginary.
Thanks for the support!
Benjamin

Message 6 of 10
Pointdump

Benjamin,
Thanks for showing me the Bartels video. I did not know about that. I don't have Infraworks, so I can't try it.
You might also grab some LAZ Point Clouds from >>>TNM<<<.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 7 of 10
ChicagoLooper

Do you run Google Earth Pro?

First of all, correct the assigned CS, the original author’s footnotes in your uploaded drawing indicate NAD83 (2011) FIPS 5200 which AutoCAD calls NSRS11.PRHP or EPSG 6566.

Second, Bing looks off.  Don't worry about Bing. Use Google Earth Pro instead.

Try this:

1. Tolspace=>Toolbox Tab=>Expand Export to KML=>Right-click Export KML=>Execute
  2. General=>no change=>Next
  3. Objects=>Selected Objects=>click the + sign=>select your Corridor=>Enter=>Next (Image-1)
  4. Geo-Reference=>no change=>Next
  5. Nudge=>DRAPE OBJECTS ON GROUND=>Next (Image-2)
  6. File=>click ellipsis=>Browse to your Project Folder=>Save in Project Folder=>Export
  7. Click VIEW button to complete the C3D KML export procedure.
  8. Next, go to Google Earth Pro=>Right-click exported KML at Bottom of Places Panel (the Places Panel is located on left) =>Properties=>View Tab=>'RANGE' is too big-you'll need to make it smaller=>Select then delete all 'zeros' keep all other digits=>OK (Image-3)
  9. Zoom-in using mouse wheel. Make sure you 'check' the box for the new KML Corridor at bottom of Places Panel. (Image-4)

Image-1Image-1

Image-2Image-2

Image-3Image-3

Image-4Image-4

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
bcolonXQE5F
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Hi Dave, hi ChicagoLooper, I thank you both for all the effort and promptness with which you have responded to my request for help.
Dave, after seeing your message, I checked the .shp file and I was able to corroborate what you indicate. Yes, there is a displacement regarding the data of the highways that we have in PR. I know that if I want to work with the Bing imagery, I have to move the aerial photo. At TNM, I hope to be able to get additional lidar data to complement the surface model. ChicagoLooper, thanks for being so detailed and sending me screenshots along with the instructions, it made my learning a lot easier. I followed the instructions, step by step and I was able to carry out the process successfully. For comparison, I did the same process leaving the coordinate system at Nad 83 Epsg 32161 and the corridor fall in pretty much the same place as when I changed the coordinate system to NSRS11.PRHP EPSG6566. I don't know if that result was what I expected, but that's what I got. Well, now that I have the c3d corridor, in the correct position in the Google Earth aerial photo, if I want to insert this photo in C3D, do I have to make any changes in the google earth settings? For example, change the coordinates from Lat/Long to UTM, or something similar?
Again, Thank you very much for the help!
Good day!

Message 9 of 10
ChicagoLooper

First of all, Bing imagery is shifted for that part of the planet (Puerto Rico). Normally, Bing imagery is correct, but sometimes it's not such as in your particular case.

If you don't have 3rd party software, such as an add-on (subscription type) to add GE Pro imagery, then you can still do it, but you have to do it MANUALLY. What does MANUALLY mean? It means you'll need to (1) scale, (2) rotate and (3) physically move the Google Earth Pro image to it's proper location in modelspace. This is an easy procedure to execute even though the instructions look intimidating and has the tendency to scare off the average user. 

1. In Google Earth Pro zoom-out to 'view' the area you wish to capture. Your area should fit inside your viewport. If you mistakenly'view' an area that's too small, you'll see the edges of your image when you print your layout because your image wasn't big enough to 'cover' your viewport. If you zoom out too far you'll capture an area that's too big and you'll capture way more than you need. Use 'judgement' to determine the right zoom level. Place two yellow Pushpins on your Google Earth image: one in top left  and the other in bottom right.
  2. When you insert a Pushpin, enter a 'special' name. The special name will consists of the pin's location, i.e. the lat and the long. (see image-1) Once you have inserted both your pushins click the SAVE button and Name and Save the image. (see image-2) BTW, both pins should be visible in Goog Earth's map without panning or zooming the map area.
  3. Back in AutoCAD, use ATTACH to insert your image as an XREF. In modelspace, insert and place the image near, but not directly on top of your site. You'll move, scale and rotate it later.
  4. Assuming you have already assigned an appropriate coordinate system to modelspace, insert an AutoCAD Geomarker. Go to Geolocation Tab=>Tools panel=>Mark Position Dropdown=>Lat-Long Option
  5. Next, on command line type in LAT coordinate=>Enter, type in LONG coordinate=>Enter=>then at your flashing curson type in PNT-1=>right click in an empty area of modelspace to end the geomarker command. You have just inserted a GEOMARKER named PNT-1. (You can get the first pair of lat/longs from the top left pin shown on the image you've attached in step 4.) To make the geomarker larger so you can easily see it, select the geomarker, go to Properties Palette and change SIZE shown in the Geometry Section to 200.
  6. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for lower right pushpin then name this second Geomarker PNT-2.
  7. Finally use the ALIGN command to correctly position your image. When running Align, click the pointy tip of top left pushpin to align with geomarker PNT-1 then click pointy tip of bottom right pushpin to align with geomarker PNT-2. The ALIGN command wil do all three of these functions: scale, rotate and position your image.  If your image doesnt look right, repeat step 7 to re-position the image. Do not move the AutoCAD geomarkers, never.

Image-1Image-1

Image-2Image-2

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
bcolonXQE5F
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Excellent explanation, I'm going to work on it manually and once I have the project located in Google Earth, it may be possible to get additional information for my surface model, by searching the TNM point cloud.
Thanks again!
And have a nice day!
Benjamin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report