Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Design

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
MPozzie
225 Views, 6 Replies

Profile Design

When I change the grade in or grade out of a profile the PVI moves up or down in the same position. I have 2 tangents with the 1st one at +2% and the 2nd at -1% (the high point is at end of tangent 1 and importantly the end of tangent 2 is at a fixed elevation). Is there a way of changing the grade in of tangent 2 to -2% so that the station of the high point moves instead of it moving up or down? In my experience the grade out of tangent 1 changes when I do that and the high point stays in the same place. I want the grade out of tangent 1 to stay the same.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rl_jackson
in reply to: MPozzie

I don't have a picture of what you're doing but if you're holding the end of tangent 2 at x elevation and want it to be 2% grade downstream (back) and then you want tangent 1 to be a 1% it sounds line you need to change the station and elevation of the PI to reflect the intersection of the 2 grades. The grade for the end of tangent 2 is the control

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Jeew-m

Look at your case.

Two tangents with +2 and -1 gradients result in a crest curve.

But when you change +2 to -2 the resultant curve is a sag curve. There is no high point in the sag curve.

Jeewana Meegahage
Design Engineer
Autodesk Civil 3D Tutorials
Facebook | YouTube | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 7
MPozzie
in reply to: Jeew-m

I thank you for your replies. I insert snips of the situation I am trying to describe which will hopefully be clearer.

Snip 1 - start of 1st tangent and end of 2nd tangent are fixed

Prof 1.png

Snip 2 - when I change the grade in of 2nd tangent it changes the grade of 1st tangent and high point is at the same chainage

Prof 2.png

Snip 3 - the result I want, tangent 1 must stay at the same grade but the high point must shift when the start of tangent one and the end of tangent 2 are fixed

Prof 3.png

Message 5 of 7
Jeew-m

I wish you could do it using manual CAD lines.

Have a 2% line from the fixed start point.

Then have the same at the fixed endpoint.

Extend them until they join.

Then add the profile line along the CAD lines.

Jeewana Meegahage
Design Engineer
Autodesk Civil 3D Tutorials
Facebook | YouTube | LinkedIn

Message 6 of 7
jroot

I assume you are making these changes in the Panorama box, right? (not grip editing or some other way)

jroot_0-1648829961044.png

Message 7 of 7
chriscowgill7373

I have had the best luck in this situation using what @Jeew-m is suggesting in post #5

Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.

AutoCAD Certified Professional
Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2022 on Windows 10

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report