Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems setup coordinate system

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
744 Views, 10 Replies

Problems setup coordinate system

Hello,

After searching the web I have found a bunch of gis data for a project that I am working on. The problem that I am having is that the coordinate system are all different.

What I would like if I can place it all on nad 83 zone 3

Here is the info and links I been working with:

1. https://bard.wr.usgs.gov/getDEMSMap.html      https://bard.wr.usgs.gov/ElevationMetadata.html

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/EART/dem/dem.html

https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/basic/?basemap=b1&category=ned,nedsrc&title=3DEP%20View

1.  https://data.sfgov.org/Geographic-Locations-and-Boundaries/CCSF-Digital-Basemap-CAD-Files/uh8r-b96p

I would appreciate it if someone can help me to get this to work.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Anonymous

I may be wrong but when you connect to data via FDO  - I believe the coordinate translation is part of the import wizard

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
rl_jackson
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza your on point, set the system in the drawing, FDO the data and it should fall in place just like the apple pie and ice cream I'm hitting on right now.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
Pointdump

Hey Carl,
Key piece of information that you'll need is that the "gz" file is zipped. Use 7-Zip to unleash the DEM.
Your GIS Data Links didn't point to anything specific, so I don't know exactly what you're looking for.
This will get you started:
>>>To Add DEM Files to a Surface<<<
>>>Importing GIS Data Into AutoCAD Civil 3D<<<

SF_1.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

Hello,

I unziped the .gz files and got the dem files but it does not alliow me to load the dem to the forum. The message says does not except the format.

I have a bunch of other files that I need help trying to put together the pieces all together. I forgot to mention once it all lines up can you help me separate the individual files with a new name for the individual pieces.

I have been trying this for a long time with no succes.

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 11
ChicagoLooper

OK, your data is on the peninsula covering SF and San Mateo Counties. This puts your drawing in Zone III. 

You may try this:

Start by opening your drawing titled tile_index.dwg. Next, enter MAPCSASSIGN on command line then assign CA83IIIF. See image-1.

Image-1.Image-1.

Put both of the extracted DEMs, the north and the south, into a single folder. Give this folder a name and put it in your project folder. Open the Data Connect Palette. Enter MAPCONNECT on command line then browse to and connect to your new FOLDER. See image-2.

Image-2.Image-2.

Once you have properly 'connected' to the folder with the DEMs the Data Connect palette will look like the image below. Next, combine the DEMs to one layer then click 'Add to Map.' See image-3.

Image-3.Image-3.

If you wish, you may THEME the map by clicking the STYLE icon at the top of the Map Task Pane (On command line type in MAPWSPACE=>On). The image below is a height (or elevation) theme using the USGS National Map Color Palette. The DEMs were combined to a single layer named North & South and have been added to your drawing named title_index.dwg. The Map Task Pane is on the right and the Data Connect Palette is on the left. See image-4.

Image-4.Image-4.

NOTE:

The above procedure assumes you know DEMs and their capabilities. If you don't have a basic understanding of a DEM and what they can provide to your drawing then this procedure may, or may not, be applicable to your drawing needs.  

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
Pointdump

Hey Carl,
"...does not allow me to load the dem to the forum. The message says does not except the format."
This Forum will accept pretty much anything if you Zippola everything together. Maximum file size is 71MB.
"...separate the individual files with a new name for the individual pieces."
Please elaborate a little on that. Is this just for the sake of learning(a good thing!) or do you need to focus like a laser on something specific?
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

ChicagoLooper said,

"If you wish, you may THEME the map by clicking the STYLE icon at the top of the Map Task Pane (On command line type in MAPWSPACE=>On). The image below is a height (or elevation) theme using the USGS National Map Color Palette. The DEMs were combined to a single layer named North & South and have been added to your drawing named title_index.dwg. The Map Task Pane is on the right and the Data Connect Palette is on the left. See image-4."

Hello,

Everything's is working great but using the height (or elevation) theme using the usgs national map color palette I don't get this on my 2016 version. Do I need to import this in or can I just come up to something close to what you got. Yours look really good if so how?

Thanks for the steps.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

Hello,

Those two links were very helpful. I see you have a basemap of sf I was wondering where you got it and if you can share it so I can use it.

Thanks

Message 10 of 11
ChicagoLooper

From what you’re saying, it sounds like you’re not using the Map Task Pane correctly. For now, forget everything you’ve already tried and do this. 

Enter MAPWSPACE on command line, then while still on command line, select ON. The Map Task Pane will open. 

Right-click the DEM layer in the Map Task Pane then open the  STYLE EDITOR. Once you’ve successfully opened the Style Editor, you’ll have the option to theme. Select THEME from the dropdown. See image below. 

1042116F-8E33-4C02-B2A2-0065A7B7817F.png

In the THEME dialog window make your selections as shown below. 

67450B98-D9B8-40B0-9EEA-CC589666C77F.jpeg

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
Pointdump

Carl,
Use Command GEOMAP >> Map Aerial/Map Road/Map Hybrid. Or you can download imagery from the same site where you got the DEM's.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report