Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POINT CLOUD WILL NOT POSITION CORRECTLY IN CIVIL 3D

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
595 Views, 3 Replies

POINT CLOUD WILL NOT POSITION CORRECTLY IN CIVIL 3D

Hello,

I am trying to bring in a point cloud into Civil 3D. I select Insert from the ribbon, select Attach Point Cloud, and select the file. The point cloud inserts but it is about 6 feet from where it should be. The survey points in Civil 3d are definitely correct but the GCP's in Recap are definitely about 6 feet off. The elevations in Recap and Civil 3d match very close. The Civil 3d drawing coordinate base and the Recap coordinate base were correctly inputted. So my question would be why is the coordinate base wrong in Recap? I have attached a couple photos. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance.

PT 1.PNG

TIF PT 1.PNG

PT 2.PNG

TIF PT 2.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Mike.M.Carlson
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

This could be a units issue related to the coordinate system you selected.  ReCAP will output a .rcp file in metric, so you need to make sure you set the following settings in C3D before attaching the point cloud to ensure metric units are converted to US Survey Feet or International feet.  Please see short animated video below of an example scenario: POINT CLOUD ATTACH.gif

Note how there are two places to ensure the correct metric to imperial conversion (C3D Settings: Units\Zone Tab and ACAD units.)  Make sure you see the metric conversion scale factor being applied upon point cloud insert.  I hope this helps.

Michael M. Carlson
Senior Civil Designer
CADD Manager
AutoCAD Civil 3D Professional
AutoCAD Professional

Message 3 of 4
AllenJessup

Errors like these are often due to one system being in International Feet and the other being in US Survey Feet. It's difficult to tell from a picture.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
Pointdump

Mark,
In what program(s) are your 4 screenshots from? Can you post data and/or drawing for testing? (Sometimes a second set of eyes will see something missed.)
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report