Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe networks and BIM

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1073 Views, 2 Replies

Pipe networks and BIM

Hello,

i am currently trying to implement Civils 3d to the civils department however we have come across a snag in how to create pipe networks in a 3D environment.

Also would anyone be able to give me some examples (screengrabs) of the level of BIM information needed in a project to comply with BIM level 2 in regards to civils 3d.

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Civil3DReminders_com
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm not sure if Level 2 BIM is a standard term across the world or in individual contracts. 

Here is a video showing how to create a pipe network: https://youtu.be/x7Gk4lFF7ZI

This knowledge base article shows how to export to IFC from Civil 3D. Pretty much turn stuff into a solid and then export it out. 

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 3 of 3
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: Anonymous

We mostly create BIM models here now.

• With regard to level 2 BIM : the current definition is mostly about collaboration. How you collaborate is not defined.

• The data exported should be defined in a contract document and it is project specific and to the clients requirements.

We use a combination of files here for collaboration. I get Dwgs (3D & 2D) of elements for position and level. I mainly use Navisworks for final clash checking once my eyes are tired from doing so in Civil3d in 3d and just as the final check between all models.

For collaboration with others, I export the Navisworks file or formats for Revit. I also export a 3D dwg: For surfaces, export the tin faces. Convert to Regions (faces create funny results when cut in section), create Revit generic mass family part of data then insert as mass into revit file. This enables the display and interrogation (to a certain degree) in plan, 3d and section.

For pipework I use the same method only not converting to Regions, explode in 3d view twie to get solids - Don't forget to save before you do this!.

For all things 3d in Revit; always import into a generic Mass Family. We find Solids impoted do not cut well in sections.

I have not yet tried the Export IFC in 2016 as curved extrusions in structures are still broken (something very necessary in my BIM models unfortunately) however I am of the understanding that the export do not create anything other than 3dsolids and with no pipe data attached.

Pipeworks and structures unfortunately will always be dumb objects in revit. Hopefully when the Infrastructure IFC database is finalised and released this may be fixed in future releases.

Most Importantly for drainage networks:

If you are going to produce additional custom information attached to your pipe (set up as custom Part contexts) work this will not be passed through to Navisworks.

However there is a cunning method to attached data.

Civil3d comes with a demo package for exporting pipes & structures to excel. You can use this to export the pipework information out to excel, If you know C# then you can tweak this to export additional information.

Once in excel, you can add anything you want to the pipe table and use this file with ODBC to pull and attach the data you want (using the handle) to the corresponding Navisworks object(s) then bind the information.

The end product may need to be used by FM for the lifecycle so this may influence the method of final export, excel may be enough information if the FM software does not support or use NWD files.

Mike

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report