Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Material Labels

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
813 Views, 11 Replies

Pipe Material Labels

Does anyone know how I change pipe material labels? For instance, I have a pipe that is labeled as "Ductile Iron". I want it to be labeled as simply "DIP". I have changed the material description in the parts list and in part builder but all I get is either "Ductile Iron" or "???".
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

a quick fix is to override the "pipe property"
--
Wesley Price
Civil 3D 2008, SP2
Dell Precision PWS390
Intel core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4GHz
3 GB of RAM
XP Pro SP3

wrote in message news:5822143@discussion.autodesk.com...
Does anyone know how I change pipe material labels? For instance, I have a
pipe that is labeled as "Ductile Iron". I want it to be labeled as simply
"DIP". I have changed the material description in the parts list and in part
builder but all I get is either "Ductile Iron" or "???".
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Set the Material in each of your pipes in your Parts List.
You can just type it in.
Your labels should be set up to read the material.
Message 4 of 12
kcobabe

Or you can do as I have done and copy the libraries and add the materials tab to the library. I then added each allowable material name. This allows you to set the standard for pipe naming. If you do not add the materials to the part in part builder it takes the typed override.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

When you say "copy the libraries", do you do that in part builder?
Message 6 of 12
kcobabe

you do it by doing a save part as.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: kcobabe

My pipe labels all read as "Reinforced Concrete Pipe" instead of "RCP". I was looking for a label expression that would use an IF-THEN statement to modify the label - alas - strings are not supported. My other options are : creat a style for each material or go back into part builder and modify all the material descriptions.

Is there any other options availabel at this point in 2015?

Message 8 of 12
Joe-Bouza

For a permanent fix edit your pipes in part builder and adjust the material accordingly.

This I fix will only help pipes drawn in the future . If it is only a few in the current drawing redraw

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thank you for your response, Bleh - I was hoping for another answer 😞 . Though - it appears I am on the right, if derailed, track.

I was going to edit them in the panorama since I have about 50 runs that I dont want to update.

At this point though for this project I think I will just create a label style korRCP and one for CMP. 

I dont liek doing things that way since they are not consistent though and hopefully no one is yjrown off in the future.

Thanks,

Message 10 of 12
jmayo-EE

Copy your label style and replace the <MATERIAL> with <DESCRIPTION>.

You can then use the panarama to globally edit the pipe descriptions with RCP or CMP and finish this up in about 5 mins....

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Awesome idea - one I had had tried but I have multiple sizes  and materials - so sorting is a bit of a pain. Its a lot of buggy copy and paste. However -its better than not having dynamic labels of some sort.

Thanks,

EDIT - 

I just figured out how to select more than one in teh panorama and edit them at once. Apparently you have to right-click and click on edit at the top of the column of the item you wish to edit after you select the rows you want to edit. 

Seems weird way to select as Microsoft has had us selecting using the shift key for ages.

Thanks

Message 12 of 12
jmayo-EE

THe diameters should not be an issue for the labels if you placed the correct sizes. IF you need the description to be diam and material for a few pipes make a third label that replaces diam and material with desc. More flexibility and options for elliptical and odd pipes.

Do you know how to sort and edit multiple values in the panorama?

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report