Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perimeter Of Surface?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
DalskiSelecta
411 Views, 15 Replies

Perimeter Of Surface?

All this info is in a db somewhere in there - how to get the perimeter of a surface? I have them as a Show Boundary - but properties only shows a meaningles Easting, Northing & Elevation. 

Labels (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Could you elaborate a little more on what you are trying to achieve?  Do you want a polygon of you surface boundary?

Attitude, not Aptitude, Determines Altitude
Message 3 of 16

After perimeter of a surface which consists of many polygon show boundaries within a polygon hide boundary.

Message 4 of 16
nkiakas
in reply to: DalskiSelecta

Hi @DalskiSelecta 

From your surface style leave in status "on" or "show" only the border(s)

Then select you surface and go to surface tools-->extract from surface-->extract objects, you will see there the border(s) of your surface

Message 5 of 16
DalskiSelecta
in reply to: nkiakas

Nice trick there, but how to get the sum of various feature lines. I converted them back to 2D Polylines but I get "various" for length parameter. 

Message 6 of 16

Message 7 of 16
nkiakas

In addition to @camden.n.dean you can find similar lisp below

https://www.lee-mac.com/lengthfield.html

Message 8 of 16

If I had to do this I would probably extract the boundary from the surface as a polyline using surface extract objects, and then use the area command on the resulting polyline.

brianstrandberg_0-1724797524502.png

brianstrandberg_2-1724797560923.png

I spend time on this forum because I enjoy Civil 3d and getting your likes.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Favorite Posts: Use Dynamo For Surface Analysis: https://youtu.be/eJNdX6guMP8
Message 9 of 16

Hi @DalskiSelecta  same what @nkiakas mention to extract objects, then you will get 3D polyline, after that you can convert this 3D polyline to feature line, then you will get information from this feature line.  I don't understand why you would convert them back to 2D polylines. 

Message 10 of 16

Area command was what I needed - aggregates multi-selection - thank you please.

EDIT - It does not 🤣. Need to add items individually through different sub-menus; not a solution for a large number of multiple entities. 

Message 11 of 16

Thanks, my logic was that a total would be displayed for multi-selected polylines as a length was displayed in the Properties window of polylines (not featurelines).

Message 12 of 16
DalskiSelecta
in reply to: nkiakas

Thanks dude, can't get any LISPS to work atm, I downloaded one of Lee Mac's segment offset scripts but cannot get anything to load atm. Definitely will go the route of LISPS shortly, under savage pressure atm. 

EDIT - She loaded in the end however using LF (LISP function), I need to convert feature lines to polylines & then this is probably my best option atm I think; amazed C3d does not have it's own function for this much needed requirement.

Message 13 of 16

Sorry I had marked this as unsolved as i was wrong to mark it as solved; though partly my fault as the title is not explicitly correct in that multiple entities is inherent to this issue. The area function requires one to add objects individually, it also does not highlight single selected objects as you go, making it prone to user-error selecting more than once; nor is it useful for selecting multiple entities. 

My best option seems to be to use the LISP but I am hoping someone can advise on how to convert feature lines back to polylines; 3d poly would be preferred but I'd even be grateful of a 2d atm. Need to do in batch as over 100 items. I cannot find the button in the ribbon to Convert To Polylines which I've used previously - hoping someone can help me find it. I do not want to explode them & loose their integrity as entities; meaning they are identifiable as groups of lines.  I know I can get the total by assigning a site to the existing feature lines but I'd like to learn how to do polylines & converting feature lines to polylines which I've done in the past but forgotten atm.

Message 14 of 16

In a rather unusual workflow, if you run the FLATTEN command on a feature line, it creates a copy of the feature line as a polyline, a 3dpolyline if there are different elevations along the feature line.  So you can paste this into the command line to select all feature lines:

(ssget "X" '((0 . "AECC_FEATURE_LINE")))

Then run FLATTEN on those objects.  The new objects will go on the current layer.

I spend time on this forum because I enjoy Civil 3d and getting your likes.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Favorite Posts: Use Dynamo For Surface Analysis: https://youtu.be/eJNdX6guMP8
Message 15 of 16
CahaLF7RX

hello,

multiple areas?

i would suggest using Parcels

and create a table for the areas.

import the table to excell

and bingo- your done

best of luck,

nonbeard13

Message 16 of 16
AllenJessup

If you get multiple closed polylines. I would convert them to Regions and use Union and Subtract to get one Region. That will give you the area. Might not be faster than the Area command. But the nice thing is you can get the answer as a Field in text or a table. So if anything changes it will update automatically.

I've used this to get the total impervious area for site plans.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report