Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset multiple objects at once to form combined boundary

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
autoMick
1936 Views, 10 Replies

Offset multiple objects at once to form combined boundary

Please provide functionality to allow the offset of multiple objects at once to form a combined offset boundary... similar to bufferring a topology.

The current offset command will result in overlapping boundaries if applied to each object in turn. It would be great if there was an option that allowed multiple objects to be selected at once such that the resulting offset was the outside boundary as shown below.

- Mick

offsets.JPG

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Labels (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

This one would be super easy for Autodesk to implement since they already have the code necessary to do this. Just use the offset commands and then take the resulting linework and run it through the Lineworkshrinkwrap command. Of course there would need to be a step to flatten everything if they are 3DPolylines. 

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 3 of 11
autoMick
in reply to: autoMick

I agree, the bulk of the code must be there already, although lineworkshrinkwrap doesn't always work as expected. In fact, that's what I used on the shapes above and it only shrinkwrapped about half of it. Shrinkwrap seems to have problems with acute crossing lines (sometimes), however if those shapes are converted to a topology, then a buffer (the equivalent of offstetgaptype=1) works flawlessly.

Cheers

- Mick

Message 4 of 11

Try using the LineworkMerge command instead of the Shrinkwrap command. It was designed to do the merge that you are looking for.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 11
autoMick

Hi Peter, I just tried out lineworkmerge (didn't know it existed) - works perfectly for this example. Thanks. It also reinforces the fact that most of the code is already there to provide the combined multiple offset functionality referred to above - so I'm still keen to see this. Your suggestion will definitely help in the meantime.

- Mick

Message 6 of 11

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 11

Isn't the official policy of Autodesk that Undocumented commands should not be counted on to be in future releases of the product?

Seems to me in order to officially close this idea it should be added to the Help file so it becomes an official Civil 3D command. If for some unforseen reason in the future Autodesk could take out Autodesk Architecture commands from Civil 3D and I'm sure the response from Autodesk would be that you shouldn't have counted on the feature being in the product for future releases since it wasn't documented. So how about adding the command to the help file?

Also since the command isn't officially in Civil 3D I'm sure the response from support would be you are out of luck if a bug is found using it. Much like the AECCONVERTLINEWORKTOMASKBLOCK command works in Civil 3D, but changes the fonts of the Civil 3D objects to the wrong one (a defect). Reporting it to support will get the response that you shouldn't be using the command since it isn't supported by Autodesk in Civil 3D.

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 8 of 11
autoMick

Well, whilst the provided work around was a good one for part of the problem, it doesn't fully address the intention of the idea:

1. Offset multiple objects at once. Not one at a time. 

2. Combine the offset boundary (i.e. same as the lineworkmerge command).

I'm surprised that autodesk wouldn't implement this idea as intended: i.e. a single operation to offset multiple objects and combine the result since it seems the programming elements are virtually all there.

The example where this would be useful is to quickly map out an environmental protection buffer which is offset from mapped vegetation type polygons (there are often tens to hundreds of individual polygons).

Please consider changing this idea to 'accepted'.

Thanks

- Mick

Message 9 of 11

Please log this suggestion for AutoCAD because it would be useful in applications other than Civil 3D.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 11
autoMick

I dont think there is an ideastation for vanilla AutoCAD?

Can you provide a link?

Message 11 of 11
troma

@autoMick you'll probably get a better result if you search or ask in the lisp forum. There are some very helpful people over there, they've helped me out a few times.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report