Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset Alignments and Profiles

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
andrew.robinson4HZXU
751 Views, 5 Replies

Offset Alignments and Profiles

Got an unusual issue to deal with here. We make our alignments in one drawing and then data shortcut it to another drawing where we cut the profile views, and then data shortcut the alignment and profile to a third drawing where we define the corridor and FG surface.

Here's my issue: I'd like to create some offset alignments that would also have profiles. However, if I understand the offset command, everything has to be in the same drawing. As that's not an option for me, anyone know if there's a way around this problem? Just wondering. Thanks for any input.

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

If you data shortcut both the alignment and the design profile into another drawing you can still create offset alignment and offset profiles. They don't need to be in the same dwg. 

EESignature

Message 3 of 6

I have no problem creating offset alignments and profiles from DRef'd alignment and profile, but the offset alignment and profile must be in that same drawing to keep the offset profile dynamic with the parent profile. If you don't want dynamic profiles they can exist in separate files.

Message 4 of 6

Any idea why it won't work for me?

When I click on the alignment, the Alignment Menu appears at the top of my screen, but the offset alignment command is NOT among them. I only get that if I'm in the drawing the alignment was originally defined in.

Does it appear somewhere else? Do I right-click on the alignment? Is there some setting in CAD/Civil 3D I need to adjust?

Message 5 of 6

On the home tab of the ribbon click on the arrow pointing down on the Alignment button.  You will find it in there. 

offsetalign.png

EESignature

Message 6 of 6

Ah, okay, found it. Thanks so much! ****, why do they hide it like that? I tried using the Help button and all I got was the usual BS about "click on alignment" then "choose offset alignment command from ribbon menu", but it wasn't there! Would have been nice if they'd mentioned - oh, by the way, the command can also be found in the pulldown alignment menu on the home ribbon. But no, I guess that's supposed to be intuitively obvious, right?

Anyway, thanks for the help. I will definitely use this in the next phase of our road project!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report