Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Objects move when clicked (without using "move" or clicking on a grip)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
esimp18
413 Views, 2 Replies

Objects move when clicked (without using "move" or clicking on a grip)

Occasionally when i select some objects in Cad, they randomly move locations if i missclick. I attached three pictures with numbers in the top right corner of them all. These are the steps that cause the issue.

1. Picture 1: I select my objects, in this case it was some grey hatching.

2. Picture 2: This is where the "missclick" happens. I try to select the cyan curve but I miss and this dashed white box appears.

3. Picture 3: I left click or esc out of the command and the hatching moves an arbitrary amount.

I specifically notice this with hatching but it may occur with other objects, i don't remember. Is there a way to turn this off? I know the easy way to fix this is be more careful about my clicks, but occasionally this happens and I dont notice until a couple hours later.

Labels (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
tcorey
in reply to: esimp18

Hello @esimp18 ,

That box with the dashed lines, pic no. 2, is a Selection box. Specifically, it is a Crossing Selection box. If you left click, all objects crossed or enclosed by the box will be selected. Don't want to do that? Hit ESC.

You might benefit by learning more about Selecting Objects, especially about what is called Selection Cycling. This will allow you to more-closely control what is being selected.

Sometimes, if you click your mouse button and hold it for a time, it will send AutoCAD into a Move mode. This is a feature, not a bug. Once you know it's there, you can move objects in a way similar to how you would in a graphics design software. If you need to use Object Snap, don't use this method. It kicks in when you hold either mouse button down too long.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 3
Jeff_M
in reply to: esimp18

See this thread for more information:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-forum/dropgeom-is-poison/m-p/8546811#M390666
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report